Longest shots...

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by racerhutch36m, Nov 23, 2020.

1. sniper

sniper

Lol. What more do you want from me dude. Sorry you misread it. Let’s move on. Shoot away.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

sureshot006 likes this.
  2. The bottom line is each encounter with an animal is different. Different terrain. Different lines of sight due to woods and vegetation. Different weather conditions. A lot of factors to consider when taking the shot whether it’s 50 yards or 500 yards. Take the shots you are comfortable making with the equipment you are using Everyone is different Some more comfortable and proficient than others. Doesn’t make anyone right or wrong if they choose to cut the distance but as has been mentioned, sometimes it’s impossible.

3. birdhntr

birdhntr

It is remarkable for sure.Hunting quantity is tough.l prefer less birds per acre!!

4. on a call

on a call

You are correctly saying what is correct with no corrections

5. John Hine

John Hine

Question not directed at me but I believe 65 is a trained marine sniper, which means he is so in tune with the ART of long range shooting that the projectile actually becomes an extension of himself. Perfect target acquisition, breathing & even timing of his heartbeat. That kind of training is not caliber or optics specific. Give that sniper a weapon that throws a projectile & designate him a target, human, animal or anything else & that sniper will perform, its what they do!!

6. jatc

jatc

I just figured that since it was T-Day when you posted it that there may have been a little barley pop influence happening.

If not, well you are definitely entitled to your opinion. People are much too quick to be offended these days. Many of the guys on this forum wouldn’t make it half a day around my crew!

7. Big Skip

Big Skip

People on this site especially are too quick to judge these days. Just pushing their agenda. Im always right and everyone else is a dumb ass mentality I cant take it

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

8. sniper

sniper

Lol. Their might have been an empty glass or two around. And yes apparently I lot of feelings got hurt. I still hold my thoughts about getting close to an animal in Michigan. It’s not that hard, but understand it’s not always the case. Mi doesn’t have canyons or mountain top draws. I usually go hunting not shooting.

sureshot006 likes this.
  9. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mod

So you've got a Michigan bull elk at 300 yards and you're at the edge of the wood line. He's in the wide open field and could peg you or leave at any moment. You seriously going to crawl out to him? No actual reply required.

I just don’t see it as a blanket statement to be made. The view as presented sounds like anyone shooting over 200 yards is "less than". Honestly it sounds remarkably similar to vertical vs crossbow sentiment. I hear you that you didn't intend for it to come off that way, but it does.

There is backlash because many folks found it as criticism. Like I said before, if you want to give yourself the additional challenge, I respect that 100% and I get it. There is definitely more to hunting than knocking one down. I'm not asking you to apologize or change your opinion which you're certainly entitled to. Just saying what it looked like.

I may or may not have had a couple beers the other evening too.

10. Waif

Waif

Alright.
    New regulation.
    Not shots at game beyond 199 yards!
    :lol:

sniper and FullQuiver like this.
  11. FullQuiver

FullQuiver

Unless you are in the Cwdabcehdeee alphabet zones then this is only limited to howitzers and mortars. Except every other second Thursday in months with an R in them.. Just to simplify regulations.. ;-)

Trunkslammer, Wild Thing and Waif like this.
  12. sniper

sniper

Get serious. Who get a bull elk tag in MI??

Waif, sureshot006 and FullQuiver like this.
  13. Carpenter Bill

Carpenter Bill

20201117_165216.jpg 20201117_102012.jpg 200 yards thru the woods. 7 mm magnum. Very fun and challenging.

14. Carpenter Bill

Carpenter Bill

Michigan does had some huge ridges and draws just like the mountains just a little smaller, da UP has areas of huge ridges. Camp rack shack is in the Jordan river area and there is huge ridges and valleys. There are ridges so big they're hounds men don't even Chase Bear in their. One road in 1 road out. When I was a young buck I hunted many farm fields in Menominee County That you could get 400 yd shots no problem if you are good enough. If a man practice's with his weapon and gets Confident with it I have no problem taking long distance .shots. And you also have to have the right weapon to make ' Long distance shot not gonna do it with the old 30-30. I've always used 30 out 6, But a few seasons ago started shooting my father's 7 mm magnum bar and I luv it. Did reading with a lot of people they never shoot their gun until about November the 12 couple rounds and call it good . You need to practice throughout the all season. JMO

15. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

Not yet. 2020 ain’t over.....