Long Winded... But please advise.

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by WallyWorld, Apr 22, 2018.

1. WallyWorld

WallyWorld

1. Last fall my Motorguide Xi5 quit working. Still under warranty, working and shore fishing 7 days a weeks, I decided to ship it to D&R Sports in Kzoo. 100 dollars in shipping to them and 4 hours on the road driving there and back home picking it up I find the less works on my trolling motor than when I brought it there. To top it off they lost my hand remote. They got me a new remote and never sent it to me like they said they would and it was on the shelf when I brought the trolling motor back to get fixed again. So I pick the motor back up and it works this time only 8 hours of time on the road later. Not Lol. So I had it on Saginaw River and Detroit River for a total of 5 days before the gps quit working again. I already plan on calling Motorguide first and see what they say. Then I will call D&R and give the a piece of my mind as to there incompetence, the first time around I was patient because I know people make mistakes including myself. Just wondering what you guys think should happen with this deal? 8 more hours on the road, as well as more time without my $1600 trolling motor has me feeling like they should simply replace the whole unit. It is getting to the point where I could have spent the time on the road and shipping cost; at work and having the money for a new Minn Kota instead. I'm not going to bash Motorguide until I speak with them, but I would advise staying away from D&r. Very lousy service, and honestly I would have expected at least a sorry or thanks for your patience from them the first time around.

2. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

Is D&R the closest service place? If so I would go to Minn Kota if there is a closer service center

3. WallyWorld

WallyWorld

There is a service center closer to me, but I was advised to go to D&R before I realized there was a service center practically in my backyard. I wouldn't have a problem with the distance if they had fixed it right the first time though.

4. ebijack

ebijack Premium Member

Sounds like a circuit board issue/electrical. Not always easy to find/fix. Till the service center can verify the actual problem. Mototguide might not do anything/replace till all options are attempted.
    I had a similar problem with a minnkota. I replaced 2 boards (repair center could not find the problem). Changed the board again with the I-pilot upgrade kit. Never had that problem again.
    It was something with the board and gps not talking I'm guessing.
    I stopped buying motorguide units (non-gps) years ago due to multiple problems.
    You can take it to the closer service center just like a merc.

5. piketroller

piketroller

Call MG customer service and make sure you get through to someone actually at their facility in Lowell, not just a generic Mercury customer service guy (depending on what phone number you are calling). The customer service guys should be able to help you out if you keep the conversation civil.

6. WallyWorld

WallyWorld

I should have included D&R already replaced the gps module, circuit board, and the cable from the base of the unit to head the first time around, the second time they didn't tell e what they did and I didn't think to get a receipt. I haven't called Motorguide yet but will over the next few days. I will let you guys know how it goes with there customer service. I hope it goes well because I truly love this motor, the spot lock is far superior to the Minnkota pre the new updated model which I sent seen in action yet.

7. WallyWorld

WallyWorld

Update... Ended up I just needs to reset the system by unplugging the trolling motor for 20 minutes. Then last night it fried again on me. Guessing its the board again. Very upset right now as walleye season is just starting. I know it is in the motor and not anything toy do with wiring as I bought a new(used) boat 2 months ago prerigged for a 24v system by the marina I bought it from. Very upset right now.

8. ebijack

ebijack Premium Member

I've seen quite a few bad wiring jobs from dealers. So I would not assume it was done correctly.
    You can use a ohm meter to test each wires resistance from battery to trolling plug. To start with.

9. wicklundrh

wicklundrh Premium Member

I would be upset as well. My first thought however was boat wiring. In my experience, not many shops are very good with it. The majority of them utilize insufficient wiring from the battery boxes to the plug. Their pigtail for your 24v crossover isn't great, and oftentimes they use a cheap fuse instead of a quality breaker.

I've also pulled out factory wire or dealer wire where the shielding was stripped where they forced it through an area.

Not saying any of this is your situation, just something I would look at. Especially considering that the issues keep happening and the only two constants are your boat and the tm service center.

Frustrating to say the least and I feel your pain. I prefer the quality minn kota breaker instead of the tiny grey square one that comes with most boats. Good luck

10. WallyWorld

WallyWorld

Thanks guys. I quickly skimmed over the wiring the night it happened, I have to check over it better yet. That being said the boat is not a constant as the motor first fried last fall on my Starcraft, and now has fried again on my Lund. The only constant in the situation is the service centee.

ebijack likes this.
  11. WallyWorld

WallyWorld

Well you guys were right, it was el cheapo circuit breaker. I guess I jumped the gun thinking it was fried, but it didn't make any sense to me though because I still had power to the trolling motor. I thought the point of a circuit breaker was to break the current when a surge hits not just kinda break it and hope for the best lol. Then again I have the little tiny grey box breaker the wicklund stated, I guess I'll have to pull the Minnkota breaker off the starcraft, good thing I didn't sell it yet.

wicklundrh likes this.
  12. ebijack

ebijack Premium Member

You don't have to use a breaker. I've had them and had them go bad also. Stopped using them years ago. I use auto/bussmann type 40 amp fuse and sealed rubber holder. Any auto parts store. It gives you a visual if the fuse was/is blown. Easy to replace if one ever blows. No more guessing/testing.

Walleyze247 likes this.
  13. Jiw275

Jiw275

And superior protection.

ebijack likes this.
  14. wicklundrh

wicklundrh Premium Member

Glad it helped point you in the right direction. I have a pile of those little gray things laying around my shop. I cannot remember the elder gentlemen that told me of issues several years ago but I am glad that he did.

15. ready2fish

ready2fish

With how motorguide makes you go thru a service center and wont help with shipping i would think twice before buying again

For me last year i also had to go there to have my motor fixed, i was impressed they had it done when promised, for me this is a 2 hour round trip so i had no issue driving there, when i picked it up i noticed the motor cover was scratched up pretty good and i knew they didn't believe me when they said they would cover half the cost to replace it, i wasn't happy so i told them to order it and ill pay for it, a week later it was shipped to my house free of charge

Now im a Minn Kota owner