close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Long Recurve Bows for Hunting

Discussion in 'Archery Tech' started by msusnicknel, Feb 13, 2018.

1. msusnicknel

msusnicknel

TL,DR: Anyone know of anyone who makes large (68") recurve bows with enough power for deer hunting?

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I've been interested in getting back into bow hunting (deer), something I haven't done in 25+ years, since I was a teenager. Back then I had a pretty standard compound bow setup. Never got anything with it, but really enjoyed it. Now, I'm thinking about getting a recurve for getting back into it. The simplicity and heritage of it really appeals to me, plus my oldest daughter just got her first bow/arrow set for her six birthday a few months ago, and until the snow hit was loving shooting it. So, I figured this would be something we co do/work on together.

I know very little about the required equipment. So, yesterday was by a Cabela's and stopped in to ask some questions about gear, bow size/draw weight, etc. The archery person admitted, though, that they were experienced mainly with compounds and didn't have much insight into recurves. She did indicate that for deer hunting, I'd want something with at least a 40# draw weight, and she measured my arms to determine my draw length. Then she looked at her handy dandy chart and said, "wow...according to this you'd need a 68" recurve bow...and the longest we stock is 64"." I'm 6'3". Since then, I've been looking online and, while I've found a few bows that length (VERY few) they all seem to have REALLY low draw weights, like 24-35 pounds. Clearly, they're designed for target shooting.

So my question(s) are: Does anyone know if any companies actually make hunting bows that long, with enough power to take down a deer cleanly/ethically? It might be I just don't know where to look, but searching amazon, ebay and even good ol' google hasn't gotten me anywhere. Alternatively, if I went with a 64" bow, how big of a 'problem' would that likely cause me? I know it is a different game with recurves versus compounds, as you don't have that break point, but I can find a ton of 64" recurves that run over 40 pounds.

Do I just need to give up on this idea and start shopping for a compound or crossbow? Does anyone know of a really good archery shop that specializes in or deals with lots of recurves between Ithaca and Lansing that I could stop in and questions of? Unfortunately, I just recently moved to the area (Gratiot County) plus like I said, have been away from bow hunting for 20+ years, so I'm not even sure where to start.

Thanks in advance for any input.

itchn2fish likes this.
  2. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Welcome back to bowhunting, there are alot of bows that will fit you. Check out other sites like Tradgang or Bowsites Leatherwall for tons of info. There are shorter bows that will draw to 32 ". The new Shrew Classic ll comes to mind. It's a short bow 56-58" that has a very forgiving draw . Anyone who builds a bow will be able to help you.

3. msusnicknel

msusnicknel

So to make sure I understand what you're saying, the bow length is not necessarily correlated to the draw length? When she measured me, she didn't indicate the draw length I'd need, just the bow size. Again, though, she admitted that recurves weren't really her area of expertise, so I think he was just pulling info off the internet. I guess I didn't realize that the smaller bows could have longer draw lengths. Good to know, because honestly I was starting to get discouraged.

itchn2fish likes this.
  4. 357Maximum

357Maximum

Asking a person behind the counter at Cabela's about stick bows and recurves is like asking the guy behind the meat counter about nuclear fusion. They both might have an answer but it is not very likely to be the right one.

http://www.kohannahbows.com/

All you need to do is make a drive. You will be well tended to. I love my Kohannah Curve, it is one of my most treasured possessions.

Another great option is http://www.shrewbows.com/ but the website states no customs at this time. I was privileged enough to shoot with Ron and watch him take aspirins out of the air many moon ago as a wee lad, a memory that will not soon fade even all these years later.

5. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Ron is getting up there in years now. He sure could shoot. It took 2 shots, but he got a running mouse in my brother's cabin.

L & O

6. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

wheres piney?.. lol....Think im heading same way so i can hang with the wellston gang

stickbow shooter likes this.
  7. msusnicknel

msusnicknel

And THAT's why I'm here. :) I didn't know where to start at all, but already the info here has been way more helpful then the Cabela's folks. I've seen the videos of Ron shooting on youtube. Very impressive.

8. 357Maximum

357Maximum

I honestly do not know, nor do I care to know.

9. 357Maximum

357Maximum

Standing next to talent like that can truly humble even a young cocky fella. It took me about 11 hundred tries to pull that same feat off just a few times. Ron is truly gifted and it was awesome how he treated the eagerness of youth. He left a solid impression on this guy, that I do know. I sure got a lot of exercise retrieving all them flu flu arrows though. :lol:

10. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

I'm looking to start with something made with hemp..

11. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

It use to be longer bows had less finger pinch, but tremendous advancements in design have reversed this. But not all makes of bows are the same. There are some out there that have terrible finger pinch do to bad design. Longer bows can be more forgiving and less torquey if you will. I usually shot recurves better then Longbows but I have know found a Longbow that I really like it's a Striker Classic it's a 60 inch bow and badly stacks up with very little finger pinch. While my oldest son has a Javaman Elkheart longbow, Its a 56 inch bow and draws very smooth.

itchn2fish and 357Maximum like this.
  12. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

You should ,Since you are picky on what deer you kill. It's a awesome feeling taking one with a simple stick and string. Besides, you can use it as an excuse when you miss or don't get anything. You can say hey give me a brake I am shooting this. Lol.

itchn2fish, jr28schalm and 357Maximum like this.
  13. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

I know I talked a good game last year about makeing the jump, but I do need a better excuse..i stopped showing videos of bucks I was passing cause of haters

14. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Who was hateing ?

itchn2fish likes this.
  15. 357Maximum

357Maximum

I'd like to know the answer to this also. DO TELL!

itchn2fish likes this.