Long Range Scouting

Discussion in 'Out of state hunts' started by triplelunger, Aug 12, 2020.

1. triplelunger

triplelunger

Sitting and killing time in the GR airport to catch a flight out to Casper WY.
    Doing some antelope/deer scouting for a long weekend. Maybe get some fishing in. (I don't even have an antelope tag, so I'm thinking the antelope tag holders in the group owe me a round at the hole in the wall bar!)
    We are deer hunting a substantial private ranch and hitting BLM for antelope.
    I'll try to post pics as the mini excursion progresses.
    Just basically took advantage of cheap covid flights to have an excuse to meet up with a west coast hunting buddy.

Anyone else planning any type of out of state scouting? IMG_20200812_100457.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. Bucman

Bucman

My partner (AKA son) and I are doing our usual Illinois hunt. My tags came in the mail yesterday.
    Cant wait!

U of M Fan, thill and triplelunger like this.

3. triplelunger

triplelunger

I'm on a lease in ohio as well. We're a little behind there. Just got trail cams out last weekend!
    We know the property well, though, so we don't mind being pleasantly surprised by the deer we see in our first sits of the season!
    I'm just really looking forward to this new Wyoming opportunity. We've got roughly 15,000 acres of private surrounded by 10s of thousands of land locked BLM. I hated the idea of inaccessible public land until I was the one taking advantage of it!
    Good luck in illinois. It's coming fast.

4. Bucman

Bucman

We don't put any cams up until early October. We're hunting a 500 acre farm for about 8 years now. I can't take cell pics any longer than that. I'll go crazy.

U of M Fan and triplelunger like this.
  5. triplelunger

triplelunger

I don't think I'll EVER use a cell camera! I would never spend a full day at work! I mostly use cams to get the blood pumping. The two biggest bucks we've shot on this property have not been on our cameras, so I don't put all that much emphasis on them.

6. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

I wish I could scout. 30 days to go, in the meantime I look at Google maps for water holes and seeps

7. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

We'll have 2 to 3 days before season hits. Ive considered going on a separate trip. For antelope hopefully not really necessary. Unless you're after a real trophy and from what I understand the big bucks have their territories already. But then watch something changes or a bow hunter gets him:(

8. steelyspeed

steelyspeed

Awesome, sounds like a fun weekend! As a pre-Covid frequent traveler, I can’t wait to hit the airport. I leave in two weeks for an Idaho fishing trip in the Frank church disguised as a scouting trip

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman