close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Long neck takes for ever to sight w scope

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by rocknreel2, Oct 11, 2017.

1. rocknreel2

rocknreel2

I have a serious long asz neck (I guess better then red)- and it takes me serious effort and time to get a view out of a nice leupold scope on my tikka 3 30.06. Is not natural at all

I had the stock x-high brackets installed but there has to be a better solution. Looking for suggestions before I just take into a shop to ask

Thanks in advance

2. Waif

Waif Premium Member

Hmm.Maybe I would try to ignore your neck and focus on eye relief . Without getting whacked by the scope. Double check parallax if you move the scope rearward , before sighting in.
    If you are having to kink your neck forward ....you are fighting an eye relief issue. If you had no neck and had to creep toward scope you still would have an eye relief problem.
    I have one set up where a peep site keeps me from moving scope back farther , and I have to creep extended neck to get closer to the extended( away from shooter) scope.
    Height of scope won' t change distance towards or away as much , and your cheek weld point ( and rear of stock position)should affect height.

3. Gamechanger

Gamechanger Premium Member

If your problem is indeed an unusually long neck, an adjustable butt plate/recoil pad may provide a solution, ala skeet/trap shooters. The link is to a product that would allow you to lower the butt of your Tikka up to 1 1/2" essentially raising your comb by that amount.

https://graco-corp.com/product/575a/

4. rocknreel2

rocknreel2

Extending the butt probably makes a lot of sense- first time sighting it in I took a good whack to the eyebrow being to close to the scope. Not a gun guy- will have to check to see if I can move scope further away, is this normally possible? I'll also research eye relief

5. skipper34

skipper34

You can move the scope farther away with extention rings.

6. junkman

junkman

You can check Boyd's Gunstocks to see if the make an AT-1 stock for your rifle.That model has an adjustable length of pull and an adjustable comb.

Zkovach1175 likes this.
  7. jmoser

jmoser

Try this at zero cost:

Put a spacer between the stock and your shoulder. You can just fold up a hand towel or use scraps of foam insulation etc. See if longer length of pull helps you without making it hard to reach the grip / trigger. Try 1/2" to 1 1/2" range to get an idea. This also impacts eye relief without moving the scope.

If this helps you can just get a slip on buttpad sleeve or a stock spacer that screws between the stock and the recoil pad.

Zkovach1175 and rocknreel2 like this.
  8. FullQuiver

FullQuiver

Whats wrong with a red neck?

9. Pinefarm2015

Pinefarm2015

Savage makes their Lady Hunter with a high comb to accommodate a proportionally longer neck that women have. These are also great for kids. I own 3 of them.

I would call Boyd's and see what the can make with an extra high or adjustable comb. Also make sure you have a proper length of pull, to the trigger.
    (I personally suggest a bit shorter stock, as we may often be wearing bulky clothing when rifle hunting. At least measure LOP when wearing your hunting clothes for cold weather.)

https://sportsafield.com/savage-lady-hunter/

Stock design is key, and they spent a lot of time getting it right. This rifle has an extra-high comb to accommodate women’s proportionally longer neck length, and the way it is sloped makes it easy to get the right view through a scope. Savage also reduced the girth of the pistol grip and moved it closer to the trigger guard. Weight was another crucial consideration. Conventional wisdom said that women want “light” rifles, but Savage discovered that overall weight was not really the problem–the issue was front-end weight. So they went with a shorter (20-inch), lighter barrel and a slimmed-down fore-end, but retained the weight in the receiver and stock. The result is a rifle with handling characteristics I instantly fell in love with–and so, interestingly, did a lot of men who tried it.