locking threads

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Shiawassee_Kid, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Shiawassee_Kid

Shiawassee_Kid

all the good threads keep getting locked here. thought the goal was to bring people to the site? lol. keep locking them, no reason to come here. just sayin'.

side note: found picture of member "grampski" floating around the internet.

[​IMG]

2. ahartz

ahartz

we all wish for the good old days......locking threads, cheating at the draws, what's next??

3. twoteal

twoteal

More censorship than Twitter.

4. Buddwiser

Buddwiser

Wait until you have to pony up the 20 bucks or whatever it is in order to participate in this forum like you do in the Political forum.

5. Dead Bird

Dead Bird Mods

sorry you feel that way... helpful hint.... keep the topic relative to hunting and leave the politics out....

you are correct this is not a he said she forum...

kid... not sure what thread got locked but get a hold of me....

been a little busy with it being the middle of the hunting season.... so I may have missed why you feel this way....

6. BumpRacerX

BumpRacerX

FF sent me a text this morning to tell me mine was locked. Reached out to a mod on it to make sure it wasn't something I did. Also hope they realize that FF is my brother and FBD is the only person on the site I PM from time to time.

Didn't want anyone thinking I requested mine locked.

Not my website they can do what they want. But as a guy that used to own a forum...content and page views are kinda important to generating revenue.

3dognight likes this.
  7. eye-sore

eye-sore

I was wondering if the math worked out the way they hoped when political became pay to play. The advertising had to take a hit lol

8. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Was not a $ motivated decision. As far as I know it's not come up as a concern.

Not spending much time in waterfowl forum, I still noticed political arguments cropping up. Probably the root of the closures.

Oh and possibly a certain member causing trouble? Not you.

eye-sore likes this.
  9. eye-sore

eye-sore

I dont doubt that money was not the reason (had to do with the constant dumpster fires) but i would guess money will be the reason if it ever gets opened again

sureshot006 likes this.
  10. sureshot006

3 threads closed since Oct 1. Is that a lot?

11. Shiawassee_Kid

Shiawassee_Kid

well considering i was replying in all 3 of them when they were locked....yeah probably. lol. I mean if you don't want the clicks by all means keep locking them. the NQPT thread wasn't even hostile...and it was locked. thats what spurred my post. Grampski was tossing out some big accusations, throwing bombs from the sidelines....getting everyone fired up.

my suggestion, delete crappy posts/timeout users. let thread live. thats the NQPT 2020 thread...usually will have 20+ pages by end of season....now its dead. that kills all info that guys use on here to show participation there. just not good look for here IMO.

Bertslash, 3"2's, Dom and 3 others like this.
  12. Shiawassee_Kid

Shiawassee_Kid

also would like to point out that M-S has stiff competition compared to years of past. nowadays there is waterfowl groups all over facebook that literally are direct competition for here. if you rule with iron hand here, its just gonna drive people over there. It ain't no secret that this page sees way less views now than it did in lets say like...2010.

i have no issue locking a thread that goes political unless that political is directly affecting waterfowling here (gov previous ban on boat motors comes to mind).. let guys hash it out as long as it doesn't get too personal.

13. michiganoutdoorsman

michiganoutdoorsman

I still call MS the Facebook for hunting and fishing. I hate all the Facebook groups for hunting and fishing. Social media censors way more, and I just can’t stand all the guys on those pages that want to argue about every little thing. I’m on here and the whitetail page more than I’m on Facebook. MS is a great place to get away from social media.

14. ajkulish

ajkulish

I agree. There has been a lot of accurate information posted in these threads relevant to the current state of waterfowling in michigan. Yes, some of these posts are political in nature, but that is because politics are getting involved in our beloved sport, and not in a good way. IMO, these uncomfortable threads are home to the most important discussions on this forum. Sometimes these conversations get a bit ugly - fair enough. But we are all brought here by a shared passion. And the threats to the sport which we are all so passionate about are real. This is not a time for a conservation-based forum to silence these conversations. I would hate to be a part of the ignorance that may inevitably play into the potential decline of opportunity and access to the great sport of waterfowling.

15. sureshot006

Its a great idea until its non-stop. Locking a thread is like pulling the car over. It tends to work, until next time.

I understand wanting to keep a thread/discussion going. Nothing wrong with starting another of similar topic, and hopefully carrying on without the BS from the closed one.

cruiseplanner1 and duckbuster2 like this.