Lockdown question

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Chromelander, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Biggbear

Biggbear

Just a question, have the does changed food sources by then to a preferred source that is not on your property? If the Does move so do the bucks. That and the bulk of the breeding is done, so the bucks main focus is putting weight back on. But my bet is that if they catch a wiff of a doe coming into heat in December that focus changes on a dime.

I used to hunt in Gratiot county Ag country. There was a huge doe population on my Aunt's farm. I was lucky enough to experience the second or late rut several times. All it took was for one doe to come into heat, and there were bucks everywhere it seemed.

That being said any buck left by Thanksgiving has run the gauntlet for months by then. Seeing a buck by then or into December was tough unless there was a hot doe around. Just my observations on that property.

2. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

I have seen bucks chase more than one doe on the same day. Also I have seen a doe drive a buck away only to breed with a different buck by the end of the day. There have been too many exceptions to this idea in my experience to give too much credence to it.

3. Newaygo1

Newaygo1

Most of this Thread is Speculation as to what a Buck does and How long a Doe is in Heat to suggest a buck will be with a single doe for 2 or 3 days I doubt is good Info as If he breeds 1 he will come across another and soon move on. It is Just Nature at Work also the weather plays a small part and with the warm weather things "could slow down". Many things make a difference Buck to Doe ratios. Some Does were born early while others later and that could be part of when they come into heat. Lots of things! I have been using Cams for 10 plus years and Always once September rolls in the Bucks start going nocturnal you start getting more images at Night than you did from May to August. So part of that is some are out scouting, the early EAS Season and Youth Hunt when you start shooting at deer they change their patterns. More People in the woods also has an effect. Some areas have fewer afield. Then Add in that AG Crops are Harvested and and Deer need to find a new food source and the bucks follow the Does and the Does/Fawns need to eat! And what Crops were there in the field Corn, Beans or What? Corn is a big draw and that is starting to be gone. And then when the Cold Weather hits like last Sunday with wind and cold and Snow the Does are looking for "Food"! And the Bucks will be following. Again just Nature at Work and Crops get rotated each year so it is hard to see a difference as Corn is big some years but it is not there every year... As also natural browse is available each area varies as some have dought and some have rain and so on. Deer , Does and Fawns are always looking for Food and that said Bucks are looking for them to be in Heat. And less Dominate Bucks are still looking and hope they find a receptive Doe again Just Nature at Work... If you are at the right place at the right it all seems to come together for a Hunter but some are lucky that Happens and Some are Hoping It Happens. You Just need to be out there as much as one can and keep the faith a Good Buck will travel past, It is Called Hunting and Not Getting as hunting has never been a "sure" Things as some think it is.
    As long as we are out there we can Hope that Good Buck comes past and give you the Opportunity to get a SHOT!
    Good Hunting for 2020!
    Newaygo1

4. CDN1

CDN1

Once the acorns are gone and all the waste ag fields have either been picked clean and turned over. Deer generally revert back to woody browse. Look for young tender stemy areas. Or if you have a nice green rye or wheat food plot here is where they ready shine.

5. BigWoods Bob

BigWoods Bob

I wonder if some of it has to do with location? My property is in Northern Clare County, and I've hunted it for 40 years. October 25-November 5th are usually great, but after that timeframe, things REALLY slow down as far as Buck sightings. It's always been that way on my property. So much so, that we don't even hunt the weekend before the firearms opener any longer, as it's just never productive....literally never killed a (decent) buck after Nov. 6th on our property (until firearms).

Sent from my SM-A505U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

6. Maple_Ridge

Maple_Ridge

Would like to add, beyond the rut cycle now, the second 'rut' or cycle really in about 30 days from now always is good to hunt. Does that didn't get bred and also I have heard doe fawns that just come into cycle the 1st time.

In our high density doe populated area of the thumb, seems like the 2nd rut is just as exciting as the first 1. Sometimes with more buck daylight movement as they search for those does they couldn't get the 1st time!