Livewell

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by hawkeye68, Jul 16, 2020.

1. hawkeye68

hawkeye68

Hi guys-
    My recirc isn’t working in either livewell and Im wondering if I can just run my livewell all day for a tournament? Do I need to release some water at some point...or will my over flow run into my bilge? Not even sure water will release being in the water. Tournament this weekend and its suppose to be in the 90’s. I’ll use small amounts of ice throughout the day but this has me concerned.

2. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

Just try it but in my experience they never drain as fast as they fill .

3. hawkeye68

hawkeye68

Will overflow run into my bilge? Or out the oveflow tube? I don’t have a problem running the bilge more often or continuous if need be

4. Thirty pointer

Eventually but you will also get overflow out the top of your live well .You could install a timer ...most boat come with it .

5. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

My livewells have overflows that drain thru a thru hull not into the bilge.

6. hawkeye68

hawkeye68

That’s what I was thinking. Does yours drain fast enough if you would leave your livewell’s on so that they wouldn’t run over the top of your livewell?

7. Thirty pointer

I'm sure his does too but when the live well is on continuous some will not drain out fast enough .That's why he should try it for a long period and see if drains fast enough .

8. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

I have never had an issue with the overflows being insufficient.

Scout 2 and hawkeye68 like this.
  9. hawkeye68

hawkeye68

Thanks for the input!

10. Thirty pointer

That's great it's a PITA .

11. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

I have owned a lot of boats and never had one that could pump faster than than the overflow would drain. Every boat is different so there may be some out there that don't have a good design. Even my Tracker had a proper overflow

Scout 2 and hawkeye68 like this.
  12. Thirty pointer

Of my 4 boats since 94 two did have issues 2 did not .The OP won't know until he test it .

bowhunter426 likes this.
  13. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

i I have never had mine overflow. Look at it this way you have a 1/2 or 3/4 inch line feeding water in to the live well and a 1 1/4 inch line draining it. Now if you outlet or drain is to high in the livewell you may get some splashing out in the rough water. Will you get enough aeration by just running your pump. Won't the fresh water just drain right back out ansd leave the lower water in the tank to go stale

14. hawkeye68

hawkeye68

great question! I just figured its better then nothing. Hoping with fish moving around that at least some of it would circulate in tank

15. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

The only way you'll know if you have an overflow problem is to go fishing and see what happens. There are bigger problems with running the fresh water pump constantly than just flooding the bilge.

Are you going to be using a livewell treatment like Please Release Me? You are going to want to monitor that quite often as the fresh water will thin out that treatment, so you'll have to keep adding more as the day goes on.

Dissolved Oxygen? Consider adding a small amount of Hydrogen Peroxide every so often to boost up the 02 in the livewells.

Water Temp? Adding ice is a great idea, but keep in mind that you'll be pumping 80* water into those tanks and ice won't last very long. You'll want to consider bring a lot more than normal. Might want to take along a small thermometer like the kind they put in aquariums to make sure things don't get too warm.

Bring a spare battery or a jumper to make sure the constant draw off your cranking battery doesn't leave you stranded near the end of the day.