Little Manistee River regs

Discussion in 'Gear Restrictions and Trout Fishing Regs' started by jjlrrw, Apr 5, 2018.

1. jjlrrw

jjlrrw

Go easy on me, Its been over 20 years since I purchased a fishing license, but we did purchase a small cabin on the Little Manistee. So I decided to purchase a fishing a few weeks ago, also picked up a fishing guide. Found out I also needed internet access to connect all the dots so I have been trying to do that tonight.

Is it me or are these things hard to figure out for someone who has not fished in a long time or never? My head hurts ... giving up for now.

FREEPOP and jr28schalm like this.
  2. kzoofisher

kzoofisher

They're not that bad once you know the area. Not knowing the area makes it tough by yourself. Stop into a local fishing shop with the map and they will be able to help you out in no time. After you get familiar with things it'll be no problem at all.

Tara likes this.

3. M. Tonello

M. Tonello

Or call me. (231) 775-9727 x6071

4. jjlrrw

jjlrrw

Mark,

Thanks for reaching out! I will call to sometime next week after I have had the chance to read the guide again.

Thanks,
    john

5. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

That’s what I love about our Dnr - very transparent and open with the public! Thanks mark for all you do!

6. jpconner50

jpconner50

When I was a kid, all the hunting regulations were on one half sheet of paper, now it only takes 6-8 separate "digests". Its hard to believe that the DNR can't figure out why fewer and fewer people hunt and fish every year.... Oh, and small game $3 Deer $5

357Maximum likes this.
  7. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen

Use multiple paper maps. Figure out which road name is which county route #. Figure out which bridge is crossed by which road. The bridge names are important.

The older maps show more of the official county road #s. Some maps only print the road names.

The U.S. Forest Service map of the Manistee National Forest is very very helpful, also conveniently shows Township, Range, and Section info, which you will sometimes run across in fishing regs. But it does not have many road names on it. Their map is about $10 at their offices in Manistee, Cadillac, or Baldwin.

The following DNR map is on-line, helps to print a copy on paper. Maybe somewhere there might still be a link to the 2017 versions of these, which broke them down in to pieces that would fit about one per piece of paper. The following link is a brand new 2018 version, which offers a choice of viewing either Peninsula of Michigan in a single map. Thus it loads pretty slowly and will be useless in a remote location with dodgy cell/internet service. I give this map a "D+"

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/Current-LP-DesignatedTS-Map_619490_7.pdf

It doesn't seem to display interface with the road names and bridges, etc. used to break streams into Type. Perhaps I ran out of patience while it tried to zoom the entire Lower Peninsula at once. Unfortunately, a CO on the water will not accept the "My dog ate my homework" excuse.

8. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

9. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen

That's the link I was looking for, thanks.

So that map helps figure out the puzzle pieces, some. The Little Manistee regs are more complex than just the Type map though.

10. preed

preed

If all else fails, talk to Rob at Pappy's bait and tackle in Wellston.

Tara likes this.
  11. strmanglr

strmanglr

I printed off the entire map of Michigan inland trout streams and put the pages in plastic sleeves and into a binder.

I also printed off that entire map and pieced it together and put it up on the wall.

12. toto

toto

Great idea there STR probably could make a cool piece of art for the man cave

OH-YEAH!!! likes this.
  13. strmanglr

strmanglr

That's where I got it. In the pool room w a stocking report hanging with it.

Upper and lower peninsula connected spans about 6 1/2' tall and 4-5' wide.

14. kzoofisher

kzoofisher

Don't make this way more complicated than it needs to be. This isn't some Alton Brown recipe where you need to a scale for dry weight, three styles of wet measuring cups, 5 thermometers and a spectrometer to tell you the exact sucrose content of your sugar.

The LM has three sections. Figure out where the middle one is and you're good to go until fall when type 4 rules will come in to play. That's it, you're ready to fish for the next five months. There is a weir you need to be aware of in Lake county. If you aren't fishing in Lake County you've got no worries until fall. The weir isn't secret and hard to find.

15. -Axiom-

-Axiom-

There is a map called trout streams of Michigan that shows pretty much every river & creek in the state, I got from an ad in the back of a magazine.

It's not big enough (it's 3' x 4' IIRC) and none of the rivers are named, it's the only map of it's type I have ever seen.