Lions sign Adrian Peterson

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions' started by Bob S, Sep 6, 2020.

1. boutdun

boutdun Premium Member

in my life time the Lyins have been a very big disappointment and no reason to think they will ever improve in my life time,by the way I'm 83

TK81 likes this.
  2. U of M Fan

U of M Fan Premium Member

Deshaun Watson has had a crap O-line, worse than the Lions and has a playoff win. Laugh all you want.

3. TK81

TK81 Premium Member

No denying the arm talent. What Stafford lacks is between the ears. Some guys get away without being Tom Brady or Drew Brees, but they can run around a bit. Stafford can't get a first down when the team is up by a couple scores. He stacks the stats against prevents. Big dude with a cannon, but can't hit a back in the flat on 3rd and 4. Can't think quick enough to find someone when he his first two options are covered. Burns clock on dink and dunk when it's too late. He makes some big plays because of that arm, but the guy is just is not a winner.

4. BulldogOutlander

BulldogOutlander

but he's always had a decent defense to help.. he's also had a decent running game and talented WR's to throw to..

Stafford had calvin, but no one else to throw to. too many drops.. too many bad throws/INTs at bad times.

Part of the issue is also coaching.. look at the packers game.. first two drivers.. touchdowns.. defense stopped rogers as well.. but then the packers adapted on the fly and beat the lions down. Our coaching staff goes into the game with a game plan and DOESN'T ADAPT from it throughout the game.

5. Dish7

Dish7

So you're telling me that the Lions would have a playoff win with DeShawn Watson? My point has always been that this is more about the Lions organization than any one or a couple of players.
    So yeah, I will still laugh at DW being a difference maker if in Detroit, lol.

boutdun likes this.
  6. U of M Fan

The organization does suck. But why do you give Stafford a free pass? I believe Watson could have did more than Stafford over the course of his time here. I think it’s funny that you think that because Stafford hasn’t done it nobody else could either.

7. CrawlerHarness

CrawlerHarness

They would have had a better chance with Deshawn Watson and the $23 million dollar cap hit difference in 2018 or $27 million difference in 2019. But since it is the Lions.....you are correct....they wouldn't have won a playoff game with him either.

Dish7 likes this.
  8. CrawlerHarness

CrawlerHarness

Deshaun Watson has only had DeAndre Hopkins to throw the ball to.....and absolutely nothing else. The Lions have absolutely had better Wide Receivers than Houston had.

As for a running games......it is a wash....except for Watson as a running back makes Houstons attack > Detroits. Watson >>>> Stafford, but Houston = Detroit.

9. Dish7

Dish7

I don't mean to give Stafford or anybody a free pass. But it just seems that too many want to blame him for everything. I get it, QB is the focus for fans. I remember when Barry abruptly retired fans were pissed and made statements like "well, we never won with him, so...". Silly, imo.
    And no, I don't think there is some QB out there that just wills their crappy team to playoff wins. Playoff teams are invariably solid.

10. U of M Fan

I agree with you on the Barry retirement. I never blamed him for leaving. Still the greatest that I’ve ever seen play the position. I know it may seem that I’m putting all the Lions failures on Stafford. I don’t but he plays a roll in it. Their defense was horrible last year and that falls on Quinn and Patricia. And this off season showed that they didn’t do anything to really improve it. Patricia leaving New England actually improved their defensive play. It’s hell being a Lions fan. You would think that they would have figured it out how to be successful in this league by now.

Dish7 likes this.
  11. TK81

TK81 Premium Member

Consider all the players the Lions have had in the 10+ years of the Stafford era...

Two things remain constant. Stafford is the QB, and the teams can't win. Hard to swallow Stafford's contract when they can't win a game against a winning team or on the road.

Last I knew Pad was 9 wins and 54 losses against teams with a winning record. $30,000,000.00 ain't bad for a golden arm I guess.

Lifted from a 2108 ESPN article:

"In the Super Bowl era, only 44 quarterbacks including Stafford have played 10 seasons with one team -- some didn’t do so consecutively -- and started at least one game in each of those seasons. Some quarterbacks, such as Brett Favre, went to other teams as well. Of those 44, only nine had losing records -- something Stafford will have even if the Lions win their four remaining games -- in their tenures with the team. Stafford, with a 64-73 record, has the fourth-worst win percentage among quarterbacks who have played 10 seasons for one team. Only Archie Manning (35-91-3 with New Orleans), Mike Livingston (31-44-1 with Kansas City) and Steve Bartkowski (56-69 with Atlanta) have done worse.

None of those quarterbacks lasted more than 11 seasons with his club.

Of the 44, only nine either never made the Pro Bowl or appeared just once, including Stafford (and former Lions quarterback Greg Landry). Just seven -- Manning, Livingston, Landry, Brian Sipe, Jim Hart, Steve Grogan and Stafford -- have never won a playoff game. Stafford and Grogan are the 10-year guys with the most playoff losses without a win, with three.

In this pass-happy era of the NFL, nine active quarterbacks have been with their teams for 10 seasons or more. Stafford is the only one with a win percentage under .500 and the only one not to win a playoff game. Actually, all of the other active quarterbacks have a minimum of four playoff wins -- Matt Ryan and Philip Rivers -- and they are the only other quarterbacks with under-.500 playoff records with 10 years with their teams. Other than Stafford and Joe Flacco, all have been to at least four Pro Bowls as well."

upload_2020-9-26_8-3-31.png

anagranite likes this.
  12. Dish7

Dish7

Consider the previous forty years...There's the real common denominator. Or is it every previous Lion's QB fault going back to Bobby Layne?

13. TK81

TK81 Premium Member

Don't get me wrong, the curse of the Ford's is problem A1. Pad is OK. Lions are frequently behind, so he racks stats. Put him on the Patriots and he probably even wins a playoff game or two. I just struggle with building a franchise around him when I don't see him as a leader...a guy who can hit a back in the flat on 3 and 4...a guy that can convert a couple 3rd downs when they have a 10 point lead, or a guy that knows when to throw it away to avoid a late game sack or a dink and dunk that winds the clock when time is precious. Would the Lions lose any more games if they started a lower tier QB...or would that free up some money for some difference makers?

I always thought that Eli Manning was a low to middling QB. Only won a game when he had the best defenses in the NFL . And he'll end up in the HOF, so what do I know?

I wish Pad well. Sounds like a heck of a good guy. Hope he gets a chance to play somewhere else and show us whether he really is all he's advertised as. Lions need to bring back Drew Stanton to end this 11 game slide. Not too confident that Pad will do it anytime soon.