close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Line and general questions

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by North wind, Oct 24, 2017.

1. North wind

North wind

I'm new to fly fishing. Looking at a St. Croix Avid 9' 5wt for brookies. Any line recommendations? I was looking at Rio but not sure which one.

Also looking at putting a Waterworks Lamson Guru 2 on it. Would it balance alright? Reel is 4.58 Oz, rod is 3.6 Oz. Any other general recommendations? I'm not dead set on anything yet.

Thanks!

2. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

Depending on the type of water you like to fish, 9 feet might be a bit long yet certainly suitable for larger streams.

If you like to fish smaller brushy streams consider a much shorter rod. The types of flies you want to fish with will help to determine your choice as well. I you intend to only fish with nymphs and dries, opt for a shorter rod. If you are considering streamers, opt for the longer rod.

North wind likes this.

3. North wind

North wind

Thanks for the info! I was considering shorter. what length would you recommend? I'm thinking mainly dries and nymph's.

4. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

If I had to have one rod for small streams, it would be a 7-7 1/2' 4wt, no longer than a 8'. If you have larger fish then maybe a 5wt. As for the line it would depend a lot on the type of area (tree choked, open) that you fish. I normally like a WF line, but if you are going to be doing a lot of short roll casting then maybe a DT line. From 3M my favorites would be the GPX Mastery Series DT or the XXD WF line. Just my 2cw but hope this helps a little. Do a search on small stream fishing and you should be able to find a lot of info that might help.

D

North wind and Gamechanger like this.
  5. North wind

North wind

Thanks a bunch flyrodder46!

6. jd4223

jd4223

If you're new to fly fishing,you might want to go to Cabelas website and just buy a fly rod and reel combo. Everything you need comes matched to the rod. Reel,line,and leader,all for a very good price. You can always upgrade your equipment at a later time when you get to understand more about fly fishing.

North wind likes this.
  7. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

If money wasn't a factor you could opt for this (over priced) 5 1/2 foot 3 weight from Sage.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SAGE-356-G...251853?hash=item28441a150d:g:5zMAAOSwfVhZ7S5c

One just like it sold on a fishing forum like this one a few years back for $200 .

Keep in mind you will be most likely be doing a lot of roll casting and sling-shot casts.

Ask around on here. Someone might be willing to part with an old rod they don't use any more.

Go for a 7 foot 4 weight. See if you can find one used. Call Superior Outfitters in Marquette. I think they sell used gear.

http://www.superioroutfitter.com/

209 South Front
    Marquette, MI 49855
    (906) 273-0229

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    North wind and Gamechanger like this.
  8. I feel handicapped sometimes when using a rod that is too short. You'll learn that line control is important to fly fishing success. That means control before, during and after the cast. After the cast is when a thing called mending is used. It is used to impart movement to the fly when needed and more importantly to prevent the fly from waking on the surface. If you're fishing dries it rarely pays to have them waking and this is where line manipulation (mending) comes in. Line control is easier the longer the rod. That said, I've settled on 8', 4 wt. as my go-to small stream rod but might bump that up to an 8.5', slightly faster 4 wt. if conditions allow. In a pinch you can choke up on the rod to make it shorter if need be.

North wind likes this.
  9. North wind

North wind

Thanks for the replies everyone! I ordered a 9' for now. I'm sure I'll be getting another one that's shorter next summer. I appreciate everyone's input!