lighter pin rod?

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by swaprat, Mar 1, 2013.

1. swaprat

swaprat

looking at three pin rods the three are the matrix mxg and the cortland endurance. those two are from little dipper and the the last is a aventa pin rod from fish usa the 13 foot model. the cortland fits the line rating i want but is it any good? had corland before they skimp on stuff is my experince with them. or should i go for the matrix or the aventa rod model numer at fish usa.com is: VTS-1363-FR. any ways which would you chose and why? i am looking to go lighter for trout and some steel maybe? just wondering before i oder what a you think?

2. jd4223

jd4223

As far as the Aventa rod,I was looking at the same one.I have mixed feelings though.More than several reviews state the rod tips are prone to breaking when landing average size fish.I don't know if this is a result of defect in the rods,or just the fisherman not knowing how to land fish.I tend to believe the rod is to blame considering the number of complaints all relating to tip breakage when landing fish.

3. swaprat

swaprat

seen that too and was wondering about the guide select on top of that

between the guide select and the raven matrix mxg wich would you guys get? i fully don't thing the aventa will satisfi or the cortland so am realy looking at these the guide select and the raven mxg which would you pic?

4. Chad Smith

Chad Smith Premium Member

Have you looked at the TFO pin rod or the Shimano Clarus?

5. swaprat

swaprat

i already own a 13 foot calrus and the tfo i looked at it about the same as the calrus unless things have changed. i realy wanted a lighter rod with a 2or 4 pound minimum and maybe a 8 or 10 pound maximum. any ways just looking at the raven mxg and the guide select. reason is they are a little lighter then the calrus i got now. unless guys think i should just stick with the 13 foot calrus for trout etc...? it is a good rod i just thoguht i would like a lighter rod for lite steel and some heavy trout etc... or is that a wrong assumpstion and should just use the calrus? cause the calrus can land lite kings coho is why i was worried?

6. HURONFLY

HURONFLY

Of the three rods you have mentioned I like the Cortland the best followed by the raven problem is they are similar to the Clarus you have. The Aventa is lighter softer rod more suitable for trout in my opinion. However, I don't think very highly of it. The clarus has a high rate of breakage. I would take a look at the ST Croix wild river series. They have a softer action and the line rating you are looking for. St croix is giving the Wild river series a makeover this year same blanks but some cosmetic changes. You can pick up last years models at a good price the Little Dipper was selling them at 25% of before they closed for the season. They should have a couple of the centerpin rods left.The Okuma Guide select is a decent rod if you can find one. It has a faster action then the Wild River all depends on what you prefer.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  7. Fenwick used to make a bad ass light float rod.
    As has been mentioned already take a look at the St. Croix.
    St. Croix Avid 11' Light 4-8 pound test
    St. Croix Wild River 11'6" Light 4-8 pound test
    St. Croix Wild River 13'6" Light 4-8 pound test

Or if money is not a problem Gloomis Centerpin series.

I am currently out of the centerpin game, went to a baitcaster for float fishing. But if and when I ever got back into it (which I one day want to just as a fun rod) I myself would go with the Gloomis.

8. swaprat

swaprat

thanks for the ideas guys i know st croix has a good rep and all. but had the problem of my thumb going threw the cork on a rod i ordered from hookhack.com st croix filled the hole full of putty but refused to fix their mistake so i do refuse to buy st croix on that bases. any ways will look at the okuma guide select and try to find one thanks for the help...

9. Jfish

Jfish

Sad to hear that about a St. Croix.

I like the Raven IM6 for fishing light. I have the IM9 and there is a HUGE difference between the actions. The IM6 is super flimsy compared to the IM9. May be what you're looking for.

You won't catch me buying a GLoomis. They're overpriced and everyone has them. They're supposed to be lighter than other rods but they're a total rip off IMO. Plus a buddy broke one. Worth the extra $. Not IMO...not even close.

10. swaprat

swaprat

yep and st croix still get tons of good reviews cause so many people buy them. i may look into building my own pin rod but am still thinking about another pin. i am thinking about the okuma guide select with the reel seat and or the raven martrix mxg.

the tip breakage could be cause by people trying to fish steel with them and having to aggersive of a hook set on the im6 rods??? like a pin is meant to have?

any ways i feel the same about loomis most of all the new rod they produce i would look at tfo before them.lol's that why gary went over there they seem to have a better product for the money... i have had nothing but good luck with my okumas so leaves me to think that's the way i will be heading...

wish it was easier seems every ware you go it is a mixed bag on what rods are best. why there are so many and they all do the same job and for their prices are worth it....and no one own's the same rods so it makes it tuffer to select a great rod.

any ways will be looking hard at the guide select with a reel seat and the mxg raven thanks for all the advice.

11. Benz

Benz

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  12. swaprat

swaprat

now that sir look to be a great rod but i am looking for a lighter one lol's for trout and smaller steel i already own a calurus for 8-12 pound line and 1/4 to 3/4 onuce baits and floats combo. but for sure looks to be a great rod. mite keep in mind if i get a second rod. almost had a heart atack thinking it was a lighter trout rod lol's perfect rod for some one thought...

13. Benz

Benz

I know what you mean, I wish Echo made a light rod. Kingpin makes a beautiful rod in the 4-8 and Echo needs to follow suit. If you haven't already been to the following site I would check it out for side by side comparisons for rods. I haven't bought anything through them but they most likely will get my next reel and rod purchase.

http://www.centerpinangling.com/float-rods.html