close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Life Jackets

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by fishinfanatic19, Oct 19, 2017.

1. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

If the big motor is on, everyone on board has a pfd on. If the water is in the 50s or lower, I seldom take mine off.

2. wicklundrh

wicklundrh Premium Member

I've seen this time and time again as it is mostly because of misinformation.

Inflatable life jackets DO count as a PFD within the state of Michigan even if they are not being worn.

Background:
    Originally, when they first started coming out and being popular, Michigan had NOT updated their laws. In other words, they did not specifically mention the inflatable type PFD. So, most police agencies (Marine) and conservation officers didn't have anything to go on but the law as it was written. Since that time, the law within the State of Michigan has been upgraded.

Each life jacket pre-dating the naming change of 2014 (some companies still use the old naming) are labeled as a type I, II, III, or IV.

Originally, type IV was classified as a jacket that must be worn in order to count or a throwable device (inflatable fell in to this catagory in some instances). The law has changed to read a type IV device is usually a throwable device.

To simplify, just like with other jackets, your jacket WILL have a label indicating it is a type I, II, or III vest. All of which are appropriate for michigan waters REGARDLESS of if they are inflatable or not!

I get inspected annually and this was/has been a topic during many captain classes and recertifications.

Keep in mind that some States CAN induce a local law that is higher than the federal law. Many of them still have a rule in place that requires you to wear an inflatable in order for it to count. If you are in one of those States and boarded by the Coast guard only, they will only enforce federal law which does allow for the usage. If however it is a joint venture (in that state) you will get a ticket if it isn't worn.

In summary, within Michigan, you are NOT required to wear an inflatable in order for it to count UNLESS the labeling on the back is NOT a type I, II, or III device. In the state reference you will notice it is not specific to anything other than TYPE.

It is up to each person to know the laws. Many people within Michigan operate vessels without the knowledge that they are NOT grandfathered in under the laws that govern the requirment of a license. Also, many people are not aware of the requirments for wearing of a PFD based on age/weight and location of a person on board.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10365_10884_11578-37313--,00.html

https://www.uscgboating.org/images/420.PDF

3. Kennybks

Kennybks

I am corrected... thanks for the clarity.

4. wicklundrh

wicklundrh Premium Member

Sorry Kenny, that wasn't meant to be directed at you! After reading it again, it kind of came across that way.

Kennybks likes this.
  5. woodie slayer

woodie slayer

cabelas is having a pre thanksgiving sale ontheir tournament 3500 auto pfd.. 50% off..74.99 final price and if u pick up the sale flyer in store u get additioal 10% off.sale runs nov 9-22 wife and i have used these jackets for two years

6. sullyxlh

sullyxlh

People using them also need to keep in mind that when the inflators expire they are no longer CG approved so those have to be maintained..

wicklundrh likes this.
  7. UBDSLO1

UBDSLO1

I wear mine almost all of the time. When it's cold out, under power, windy, and by myself.
    For my jackets, I have also attached a strobe light and whistle, you just never know when they'll be needed. My jackets are from BPS, very comfortable and I have two sets, one for cold weather and one for warmer weather. The cold ones are a size bigger to allow for winter type jackets.