LFTS 10/29

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Hoytman5, Oct 29, 2020.

1. IceHog

IceHog Premium Member

Saw a good number of deer tonight, 11 or 12 doe's and 1 buck, he worked a scrape across the field, but didn't b-line in like he was supposed to. Between the wind and rain it wasn't nice for me, but the deer seemed to like it.

2. firemantom

firemantom

Saw a small 8 point and the a real good looking 9 point I called in! I’m kinda regretting not shooting him but it makes it much easier to handle when there’s a buck already hanging up! I can’t remember if I’ve ever had so many bucks all respond to my calls and all came in and offers shots inside 20 yards!! Great day!!

3. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

CONGRATS ! Never forget the 1st, remember mine like yesterday

4. d_rek

d_rek

Well that was... disappointing. Pretty decent blood with some bubbles for about 15 yards and then absolutely dried up to nothing. Thinking I hit her lower or further back than it looked and it just plugged up hard. Can’t explain total lack of blood otherwise. Also found some yellowish matter around last blood, but no where else? Smelled slightly gutty. Using large mechanical g5 dead meat. Perplexed. I might have an hour to look in the AM. Otherwise she might be coyote food. Uhg.

Sent from d_mobile

jiggin is livin and Nickbarg83 like this.
  5. That’s a great first buck, congrats! I’m sure your hooked for life now! Your first is one you never forget! It’s funny how when you look at your collection you remember the hunt for each like it was yesterday but you can’t remember what you were doing a month ago! Congrats again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. phantom cls

phantom cls Premium Member

no, but it was hard sleeping last night! sucker got me inside my knee cap. and its still letting me know this morning.

7. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

Was just talking to my uncle about that. I've got quit a few bucks and I can't recall every hunt to save my life. A few yeah but not all of em :( think I hit my head to hard in my dirtbike accident !! seriously.. Wish I could remember em all like my 1st

8. retired dundo

retired dundo

I am remember most of mine especially my first deer a buck in. 1979 Funny I only remember good times vacations fishing hunting.But have hard time with thing I did not like

9. U.P.Grouse Chaser

U.P.Grouse Chaser

I have had the same issues when wearing a headlamp I am much better traveling the woods in the dark with a handheld flashlight or no flashlight at all .

Lever4ever and jiggin is livin like this.
  10. springIstrutfallIrut

springIstrutfallIrut

Yes all day. It was slow from 10:30 to about 1:30, finally saw a small 8 wandering. Then between 2 and 3 I saw 4 bucks, 2 were a result of rattling the other 2 might have been they came through together 20 minutes after I shot mine , approximately 1/2 hr after rattling. This time of year through gun season I can expect to see a good buck mid day on most of the hunts that I sit all day.

snortwheeze and sniper like this.
  11. springIstrutfallIrut

springIstrutfallIrut

20201029_151755.jpg
    Real antlers. It's a set I found in an old broken down plywood deer blind when I was a kid. I bet they're at least 25 to 30 yrs old. They were stuck in the ground and half covered with dirt in the blind floor. I've rattled and killed 3 good bucks with these and called in a ton over the years with them, mostly 1.5 and 2.5's. I keep thinking I need to get some new ones as old antlers lose their "pop" but if you crack them and grind the beams together they still work. I've learned from listening to bucks fighting that you mostly hear the grinding not tines tickling. Once I applied this to my rattling technique the results improved.

12. d_rek

d_rek

Found her [​IMG]

A little back on entry, but not terrible. Exit was way back, so much have deflected off a rib. Not super impressed with the dead meat, but could also have made a better shot. Most shocking thing was absolutely zero blood. At least she’s not wasted.

Sent from d_mobile

13. Waif

Waif

There was a tale of antlers being cached below ground by natives.
    That would reduce rodent damage , but also be a controlled (mostly) environment keeping them from drying out.

Mineral oil can restore some tone. As in theory would be putting them in a humid environment.
    (Look dear , new shower decorations!)
    Your finding them in/on the earth means they were not as dry then , than if they were indoors.

14. d_rek

d_rek

Not much of a story. Pretty windy afternoon sit yesterday. She came in about 5:30 ish all by her lonesome. She looked back a few times so I thought something might be sniffing after her, but nothing ever did. Watched her browse for about a half hour and about 6-ish she finally offer up a broadside shot at 25 yards and I took the chance to put more meat in the freezer.

Thought it looked a little back, but not terrible, replaying everything in my head. She staggered right after shot and ran into woods.

I waited about 3.5 hrs to pickup trail. There was absolutely zero - and I mean zero - blood beyond the initial spatters I found right in the woods. Doubt started to set in about what transpired. FIL and I looked for an hour before calling it quits as there just wasn't anything to follow. Neighbor and I came back out around 10:30am this morning. Found her approx. 100 yards from where she was shot piled up. Absolutely no blood anywhere to be seen. Barely any even around where she died.

Shot was probably square in the liver, deflected a little and exited about 8" back and low. Cavity was full of blood. Slightly stinky gut job but not the worst i've smelled. I think most of her is salvageable. Kept the heart (it passed the sniff test) but I left the liver and not sure the tenderloins will be any good. We'll see.

Anyway glad I found her. Could have made a better shot and no one to blame but myself for that. Still disappointed that with a large DIA expandable (g5 deadmeat) there was such little blood. A lot of factors there, but in the end at least she was recovered.

15. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

Cool pic. I took the rack pack this morning, but never used it. I tipped the can thrice at that little spike horn, but it didn't hear me even though it was only 50 yards away. Maybe I'll take the yearling ten point set tonight and give it a grind.

springIstrutfallIrut likes this.