LFTS 10/23

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by moe6344, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Flight of the arrow

Flight of the arrow Premium Member

Just to wet, drove to Mio for all you can eat Cod. Will be back at it in the morning.
    Flight

2. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

Sw is what I'm set for too ! I need way more sets East, North East and straight north

If it's raining anything like it is in MC you're damn right ! Thunder, lighting, heavy rain !

Good luck to all of ya's , shoot straight

3. Shagy

Shagy

I passed this evening due to the rain. Sure enough it stops for a few min, I look out back and 4 deer walk into the yard.

John Hine and Waif like this.
  4. Bow hunter on a Mission

Bow hunter on a Mission

Radar looked clear so I’m out. Just when I got up the ladder had a rush of maybe 6 deer come flying through. Had a shooter in the bunch biggest 6 I’ve ever seen on the hoof too bad my bow was still on the ground!! Turns out I wouldn’t have been able to stop him. The reason for the stampede was my uncle (the property owner) came through on a trail in his side by side 100 yards away. One of the buttons he pushed through is now bedded 30 yards away. There was another solid buck in the stampede but I’m pretty sure he was subpar for this property. Scrambled report but a lot going on in my first half hour. Oh and now it’s looking like it may get a little damp around dark and I convinced my wife to come out with me. She isn’t going to be happy with me :help:

5. sniper

sniper

2 does decided to lay down in a picked bean field 60 yds. IMG_1879.JPG Winds are starting to stir again.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

6. Bow hunter on a Mission

Bow hunter on a Mission

7. UPBeerguy

UPBeerguy

8. GATORGETTER

GATORGETTER Premium Member

3rd sit of the year for me. 2F64F709-C700-4635-8876-BDE0C58BAEE3.jpeg

9. Bowhunt

Bowhunt

Long read.... My son shot a buck last night and after waiting we inspect the arrow and first sign and decide to give it time. Given the temps we went back out at 11:00pm to a modest trail. My two boys and I have a painfully slow track. We do find a bed and then after crossing the creek, blood picks up good for 100yds until it slows up but steady. At 12:30 we hear a deer get up about 30 yds in front of us and go. Thinking we just bumped him, we decide to wait to morning taking the LONG way out. Exhausted he wants to go at first light and him and his 11 yr old brother are up and ready to go. We quickly pick up the trail and follow another 100 yds to three beds, all with blood in them. After the last bed, we can’t find anything. We circle and then grid, with the help of a buddy of mine, finding nothing else. I even grid the cornfield next to us. After three hours we feel the deer is injured enough to keep bedding, not bleeding externally at all and are struggling as to next steps. All defeated, my boys head to the truck and my buddy leaves. I circle back to grab a hat that we had used as a visual marker. On my way out through two track lane next to a second corn field, and about 80 yards from last blood, I just happen to look down and see a dime shaped spot of blood. I call my buddy who says he will turn around. Finding no other blood, I am walking down the lane, corn on my left, bedding on my right checking each run into bedding. On third trail, the buck jumps up 10 yds from me and runs hard all the way across the road into knee to waist high old CRP field. Again finding little blood, I tell my buddy I want to try to track across the field and if we get to the swamp and jump him again, he is clearly hurt but not near death. We cover 600 yds from where I first jumped him, finding only specks of blood, and as I approach the edge of the field, he gets up again 10 yards into the swamp. We have covered over a half mile now and we know this deer is hurt, but nowhere near expiring in the very near future. Given rain coming, I decide to contact a tracking dog and within an hour of his arrival we have gone another 300 yards but were able to finally get a long second finishing shot into the buck. Longest track job I have ever been part of, but persistence prevailed today. Original shot was just forward a bit and deer was slight quarter to, exiting in front of opposite shoulder. Neither lung but significant internal bleeding in chest cavity. Crazy tough.

B2FD0BE5-62E6-4F14-A8F8-9E6688C952C3.jpeg
    84886CD8-52C4-4FA1-848E-4FB24E2646B0.jpeg
    8F654C43-9E5E-4C0B-91E4-8422A4D96503.jpeg

10. M.Schmitz87

M.Schmitz87 Premium Member

Little 4 just got the pass.

Namrock likes this.
  11. old graybeard

old graybeard

Congrats to your boy! Very nice buck. Way to stick with it.

vincke07, Bowhunt and Namrock like this.
  12. Namrock

Namrock

DAMN! You talk about working for it! Nice job to all involved in sticking with it & using every effort to recover him. Great buck & a huge congratulations to your son Bowhunt!.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  13. Ieatshrooms

Ieatshrooms

I only have one stand set for East wind cause they are so rare. I'd say the rest are split 50/50 between North and West winds. North winds come with the cold fronts so my favorite stands are all North wind stands it seems. Straight south winds are usually days like this morning when its unseasonably warm. I'm kind of curious to know how other guys split their stands up

14. Namrock

Namrock

It's your 3rd sit & your sleeping? WAKE UP it's prime time GATOR!

15. Aaron Glupker

Aaron Glupker

Congratulations to your son on a great buck! Unfortunately my story is the opposite. After clipping a unseen branch last night and thinking a gut shot I started tracking at 9:00 this morning. After 200 yards of blood it went cold. Called in a dog and after 2 hours no luck. Dog never really got on a good scent. Tracker believes its a good flesh wound. Hopefully I see him again and can close the deal.