LFTS - 10/15

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by U of M Fan, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Waif

Waif

Independence hunt!

May have been the biggest set of antlers I've seen while hunting. At 6:eek:o a grey shape was near the end of a shooting lane. Put up the shooting stick and tossed the rifle on it.

Antlers showed first.
    Working a tree with a couple feet of alders between us at 120 yards.
    I was ready when he turned and crossed the tall grass (I've always mowed it till this year ,would he have been there if I had mowed it this year?)
    Could see head and a foot (maybe) of neck.
    In the seconds I had , someone was yelling shoot through the grass. But I couldn't find his shoulder or his chest. Another voice was yelling no shot when you can't see your target...
    Crazy tine length and spread. I never did get a full count. Had enough trouble getting the scope off his antlers when he quit working the tree/branch.

So , I'm ruined. Then shake a little.
    The sky clears (of course , I'm facing the setting sun) my eyes get partly fried with no brim on my hat.

About a half hour/45 minutes later a head and neck flash to my left in the small window/cut to the/a passing through cover route. The stick swings and the scope falls on...a doe.
    seventy yards maybe.
    Browsing , looking my way and easing out she's in the open broadside eventually.
    I practiced sighting multiple kill shots.
    Nothing against killing a doe, and she looks like a nice one.
    But...
    She starts looking towards the alder jungle and listening. Is it fawns? A buck? "The" buck?
    Eventually she looks at the jungle edge and scurries away. I'm ready!
    Here's another deer coming out where she did.
    A handsome fork-y! And I don't have one in my collection.
    His straight up antlers look like a European deer. Even decent lengths. And the A.P.R. is waived for the disabled hunt...
    More practice aiming.
    He browsed a bit , then checked where I put scent last week. He didn't do anything like work a branch or paw dirt though. Just snuffed it up and crept up to the alder it is in front of.
    Then he bee bopped towards me. Up to just under thirty yards. Close enough to shoot!
    Watched him browse and eventually wander toward the lane the earlier buck had crossed the rear of.
    Another deer was in the lane but darkness was eliminating telling what it was. The earlier doe was suspect.

A great hunt.
    The first sit of the year.
    The deer are warned now.

Not sure where the bigger buck came from. Racks don't "pop" that way in the area.
    Brittle , and more often broken is the trend of the majority . Though it's still a little early in combat stuff. The buck I posted earlier was the only unbroken rack I saw that year.
    Tonight's first buck wintered well somewhere , and had a great early spring forage.
    A.P.R. helped probably. Whatever allowed age sure did. C.W.D. , not so much.

He is doing what a buck does most every year in there. (Or rather , he's doing the "where" ) . Except, he did not come down that lane. Or even to the end of it ,or cross it in front of me. Yet.(?) If ever.

2. retired dundo

retired dundo

Congrats great buck

M.Schmitz87 likes this.

3. Walleyze247

Walleyze247

Congrats Schmitz87!

M.Schmitz87 likes this.
  4. TheMAIT

TheMAIT

Nothing doing for me tonight. Tons of ducks and 15 gunshots in Livingston County. Oh, and the guy who walked up to my tree during prime time. Gotta love public land.

5. CWesZ71

CWesZ71

Zero deer deer tonight, first time all season. Still, the sights were nice. Congrats to all those who connected tonight. 20201015_192736.jpg 20201015_183816.jpg

6. Trunkslammer

Trunkslammer

BB1A9E73-15BF-42DF-A3A1-ADF276404631.jpeg My old man scored on his biggest to date. Im really proud of him! Hes not the most energetic outdoorsman. Probably hunts just to spend more time with me. Hes not very picky either. But he put a great shot on this beauty tonight, only went 40 yards. There was another buck of equal measurement that almost got close enough for him to tag out! Don’t critique the old mans style of hanging deer, I already did lol. We always hang deer at my house with a gambrel head down. Thats how I was taught from my elder neighbor that taught me how to process. Not sure were my old man got his hanging style from.

Aloeffler, jeffm, Horseshoe and 49 others like this.
  7. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

You shoot a buck like that and you can hang it any way you want to! Cool.

8. retired dundo

retired dundo

Congrats to your dad a nice buck like that he’s entitled to hang any way he wants.I think I like it different

9. Namrock

Namrock

Way to go S87 & trunkers dad! Nice bucks on both ends. Pretty Work Boys!
    RMH approved! 11377.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  10. Esquire

Esquire

Trunkslammer likes this.
  11. Namrock

Namrock

So I didn't have crap for service where I sat tonight after my math class. Wish I could have posted, cause it was crazy nuts in there! I'd guess 22-28 does & fawns. Cam pic of a few of the slick-heads getting a drink from when I was in there.
    14441.jpeg
    4 bucks, 2 dinks here's 1 of the youngsters
    IMG_20201015_181742329.jpg
    1 looked like 3 yr old & 1 that I wasn't quite sure. Said they were both 3 in my head, but after looking at the crappy cell pic I took I might have been wrong about 1 of them. The 2 bigger bucks were chasing ALOT. Like enough they both came to get a drink of water & I could hear them breathing heavy & their tongues were hanging out. Got a cell cam pic of the smaller of the 2 bigger ones (if that makes sense?) After I left tonight
    14433.jpeg
    This was the biggest of the bucks I saw, & I had made my mind up he was only 3 so I tried getting a pic as he came in for a drink. Now I know you can't even see his horns because it was that magic right before last light hour, but I may have underaged him after looking again & zooming in like this. Screenshot_20201015-215639.png Either way it was an absolutely awesome hunt & you can damn Skippy I'll be back in there the next good wind we get for that spot. 2nd hunt of the year, all 4 of the bucks I had an opportunity to shoot at that water. MAN WHAT A NIGHT! Can not wait to get back in there!

Whopper 24, jeffm, jparks02 and 23 others like this.
  12. KingHingeCut

KingHingeCut

Seen a bunch of doe tonight and a nice buck prolly 20" wide outside walking away from me assuming he caught my wind . Hoping for first week November maybe catch him cruising

MichiFishy, Dish7 and Namrock like this.
  13. Namrock

Namrock

Excellent retelling of the adventure Waif, wish I could be that articulate. Great hunt for sure!

Walt Donaldson and Waif like this.
  14. Waif

Waif

It was great, thanks.
    Now I'm geeked. Even though knowing that may have been the chance for a while , or longer. Which is fine. Except for seeing that rack I wanted to put hands on. I'm getting over it pretty much. ( Except for the lying denial part).
    He was around last week if those are his rubs in the shooting lane he was beyond.
    So if he keeps it up , the neighbors or I might see him again. They're not hunting yet that I know of. But tend to score when a nice one loiters too long and into firearm. Which is fine too. Good folks , that were surprised to find hunting improved near home some years back.

The doe and yearling buck were more than I've seen some years after lots of hours hunting in the past. So are certainly not taken for granted.
    No fawn or fawn with the doe is not unusual. But I don't like it. Those two deer are very important IF there are no or few recruitments to replace them.
    Time spent out there will tell how much the doe could become a target later...

jeffm, M.Schmitz87 and Namrock like this.
  15. vsmorgantown

vsmorgantown

Beautiful buck congrats!! That’s awesome.

M.Schmitz87 likes this.