Lftb

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by davewcrook, Sep 19, 2020.

1. davewcrook

davewcrook

Where is everybody? Got up this morning to go to Indiana and check on some trail cameras,thought I would see who all was all setup in theirs blinds and nothing. I don't know how crazy it get during the youth hunt, I haven't participated in it for about twenty years. But I thought someone would be out. Good luck everyone.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  2. BumpRacerX

BumpRacerX

We're out here and setup. Went to what I think might be my middle zone opener spot. Surprised by a lack of birds. Had one woody buzz through us but never stop.

IMG_20200919_065931958.jpg

craigrh13 and davewcrook like this.

3. Nik

Nik

2 woody's so far for us

4. Outdoor Gal

Outdoor Gal

Went to a spot I scouted mid morning earlier in the week that had a few wood ducks on it. Turned out to be a roost. Watched a bunch leave and the kid missed the one duck that was close enough. I missed the one goose that flew over us a few minutes ago. Lol. Can't get a break yet this year.

BumpRacerX and Jeffish74 like this.
  5. BumpRacerX

BumpRacerX

Rolled out of bed at 4:45 to get where I wanted to go. Was a trip just to get there, 20 degree air temp plus warm water made it hard to navigate but we finally worked our way back to the little beaver pond.

Had one woody buzz us right at hours. The mini wasn't ready for it. Full confession I couldn't have hit it either lol.

Then sat for quite a bit before the mallards started to play. Nothing would give us a nice shot that he was comfortable with. Plus dad needs to clean up some shooting lanes and figure out how to lay this one out a little better. We saw over a dozen mallards though which bodes well. Just nothing that was a comfortable shot for him which is okay.

Plan was to sit until 8:30 and then got find a swat. We were almost out of ground to cover when the magic happened and a 3/4oz load of #4's struck paydirt.

Now all I'm hearing about is "Two ducks one shot" IMG_20200919_093507943_HDR.jpg

Never seen this kid so happy. Absolutely hooked. We had an amazing morning. Half a dozen deer, birds working the decoys. Beautiful sunrise.

Will never forget this one.

6. craigrh13

craigrh13

Another great hunt this morning. Looked like everyone creamed them this morning. 9F572CC7-4D76-4904-9D3B-FC28FABD0D3F.jpeg

7. Outdoor Gal

Outdoor Gal

We came out with a big fat zero. The kid had a chance at a gaddy hen and missed that too. I hit a goose that locked it's wings and crashed into the thickest of the thick cover. 70 yards as the goose flew, it was much longer for us to get to the area it fell and found a swamp we couldn't cross. Looked for an hour, flushed multiple woodcock, couldn't find the goose. I absolutely hate that. I hope tomorrow goes better. Gonna try a different spot with my nephew. I'm getting pretty discouraged this year. Can't get on our usual private land spots for various reasons this year and life has been crazy hectic which hasn't given me much time to scout public like I need too.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  8. Outdoor Gal

Outdoor Gal

Wood duck roost. Just to clarify we didn't bust the goose roost. Lol

9. BumpRacerX

BumpRacerX

Craig you are on fire this year! Also thank you for your service!

Who's hunting tonight? Youngster is heading to a friend's to hangout. So.... I'm driving downstate to hunt with @Fishfighter on some cut corn. Maybe I can finally get off the Goose skunk for the year.

Outdoor Gal likes this.
  10. Fishfighter

Fishfighter

Woke up late after not getting home untill around 11 last night from a goose hunt. Decided to jump shoot got to the first spot ten mallards come up I drop lead bird and am swinging on second bird when I decided it was gonna be hard enough to find one bird in there so I let the rest go. 1 mallard for me this morning and now I'm just scouting some spots around the cut corn I'm hunting this evening.

11. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

20200919_080659.jpg
    Ole boys did some work this morning. Ended with 10 and missed a ton more.Was hard sitting there with no gun and just watching them .. But it was all worth it for our Veterans to have their day...Thanks to all that served...

12. MIfishslayer91

MIfishslayer91

I took my little brother out to a southeast mi public land swamp and he got a limit of woodies! These are his first ducks and I think he’s hooked. He’s real excited to go back in the morning and hopefully get another 3. He shot his first deer last weekend during the youth deer hunt(4 point buck) but unfortunately never recovered it, so this successful duck hunt was a great morale boost for him. 68B7A059-0922-438B-8489-C214FEA37F89.jpeg

13. onebad800

onebad800

I took my 12yr old out for youth hunt as well in southeast MI on state land usually full of woodies and was but he struggled getting the gun up in time , did get 4-5 shots off but no hits. Was fun will probably try the evening hunt Sunday.

Outdoor Gal likes this.
  14. BumpRacerX

BumpRacerX

Had one nice flock of Geese work right into the decoys tonight. Fishfighter's buddy that got us on the field was the only person that knocked one down.

No morning hunt for us tomorrow. The youngster declared he's sleeping in. Sounds like Fishfighter is coming up in the afternoon so we'll have a true Youth/Veteran hunt going on. Not sure there's any Geese where we're going...so I may even leave mine at home and just play retriever.

15. Outdoor Gal

Outdoor Gal

20200920_081442.jpg We're on the board today. Had some misses, this drake was a tag team effort. Kids are having fun today and there's been enough going on through the morning to keep them excited.

Rgrinny, RS1983, Ash and 7 others like this.