Leupold VX-Freedom Bushmaster 450 Scope

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by goodworkstractors, Nov 24, 2018.

1. goodworkstractors

goodworkstractors

I just purchased a left-handed Ruger American Ranch Bushmaster 450 with a Leupold VX-Freedom Bushmaster 450 Scope. I purchased over the phone from Randy's Hunting Center and had it transferred to a local shop near me.

Long story short, I'm brand new to this scope and its bullet drop compensation dial. I think I understand how to operate it correctly, but hoping someone else could confirm or point me in the right direction. It has the elevation adjustment dial that is configured for the Bushmaster 450 250gr FTX 2200FPS which is the ammo I purchased.

Should I site this in dead on at 100 yards? If so, does this mean I can simply rotate the dial to the "2" if shooting 200 yards and aim right at my target?

Has this type of system proven to be highly accurate?

Thanks in advance!

2. Ken

Ken

Correct. If you go to Youtube, there is a video of Randy shooting one with a CDS dial at 100, 200, and 300 yards. It is a Michigan Out of Doors TV segment

3. goodworkstractors

goodworkstractors

Thanks for the help! I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet, but did get to the range. Got it dialed in and it was very easy to use. Heading out this afternoon before the storm comes in. I'm ready for a field test!

4. Ken

Ken

I just got the same gun from Randy in early October. Was hoping for a stainless, but that's a no-go in lefty. Did you add a brake? I did order a brake from a company in Idaho. I also had the stock camo dipped, and the metal Cerakoted for weather protection.
    It worked well on two deer so far.

5. goodworkstractors

goodworkstractors

Sorry, I totally forgot to get back to you.

I did not add a break to mine. I like my stock in the FDE color, but do want to cerakote my barrel. I'm gonna have to do that this off season for sure. How much did you pay to have that done?

The gun and scope performed flawlessly. The bullets...well, dead deer, not sold on them.

6. Ken

Ken

$115 at Cerakote Specialties in Fenton. All the metalwork, including brake, cap, bolt handle, scope base, and all screws.
    Tons of colors available.
    I have never used the Hornady factory ammo and never will. I handload it with Barnes bullets

Big Hoss and goodworkstractors like this.
  7. Hunting18

Hunting18

I know this is almost a year old, however I am considering buying one. How do you like this scope? Is the accuracy there at different distances using the dial?

8. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

The scope works as advertised.

Hunting18 likes this.
  9. Driven2tri24

Driven2tri24

Mine is dead on with Hornady FTX 250’s out to 200 yds ...
    Glass is clear. Tracking is nice and the price is perfect!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hunting18 likes this.
  10. Powelld1

Powelld1

Are you using the Hornady Blacks ? I just bought the same set up and just wondering which rounds ?

11. toppm

toppm

I use the blacks. No problems.
    Sent from my SM-G970U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

BUSTA'YOTE likes this.
  12. Driven2tri24

Driven2tri24

Blacks, Customs are the same exact load in differ t packaging. I’ve shot them over my chrono and the same exact FPS as the customs. Both go through the bullseye at 100, 150, and 200yds using the my Leupold CDS dial..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

goodworkstractors and BUSTA'YOTE like this.
  13. Powelld1

Powelld1

Awesome. Thanks for the reply and the advise. I appreciate it. Safe and successful season to you all.

BUSTA'YOTE and Driven2tri24 like this.
  14. I've heard the Black and Custom are the same exact load...but have different primers. Why...I don't know. That's what I heard anyway. And the packaging is different obviously.

15. cmuchip989

cmuchip989

Does anyone know a where this optic is made?

I spent decent money on a Chinese made vortex. Didn’t do my homework. It’s ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman