Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Let's Talk Specks

400K views 3K replies 294 participants last post by  stickman1978 
#1 ·
Fellas ... Spring is about to show up. I hunt the allusive Crappie year around. There are places where guys are fishing open water and catching good fish now. What's your personal best Crappie ? What set up is your " go to " when Crappie fishing. Caught an 18 inch in 1989 ... no pictures ... it's true none the less. Always looking to improve and remain teachable when it comes to Crappie fishing. Biggest through the ice this year is 15 1/2 . ( posted in the Genn. County ice thread ) My best fish have come on minnows though I've slammed'em on tubes and twister styled baits as well. What's your best fish ? You favor plastics or meat ( minnows ... waxies ) Feel free to post pictures ... discuss strategies ... or just talk Slabb Crappies :) Looking forward to your posts. Tight Lines ! Cropido aka Ben Out ! :coolgleam

#128 ·
No giants but had a blast trolling 20 ft of water with Rapala ultra light shads behind Church TX-6 planers. Caught all but a few of them including the always welcome Walleye on the Clown color. Barry county lake evening bite...went back the next morning without the same results.

Sent from my DROID4 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Nice mess of fish. I'm glad to see they are moving out into deeper water and setting themselves up to get trolled!

#130 ·
Fished an Oakland Cnty. lake last eve with the " First Lady " ... Was in persuit of some bull gills. Found a school in 12-15 fow and it was game on. Was selective of the fish we bought home ( 1 dozen ) for the table. No monsters just table fare 8-9's. Slip bob & red worms worked best @ 7-10 fow with long shank aberdeen hooks. Some how they still found a way to swallow it up the ying yang. :rolleyes: Hate it when they are lost due to deep hook sets. Any tricks or experience on minimizing fish loss due to deep /gill hooking ? Waaaay too much cottonwood on the lakes recently ... it's a pain but a part of the game. Had a blast. Tight Lines fellas. No Specks in sight !:mad: Get after'm and stay safe. Croido aka Ben Out :coolgleam

#133 ·
@cropido
are you using a boat if so here is a idea on how to get some slabs.

specks are around there just in the deeper parts of the lakes. could try trolling like other are doing right now or jigging them with a egg sinker and a true turn hook hook live bait style not in the nose in the back above the back bone. in between the hook and the egg sinker is a barrel swivel and a 4 lb test leader and a bead under the egg sinker and above the swivel. best part is you can use your fish finder like it is ice season and jig it just above them and get them to follow it up .

or you can troll which mean waste gas and electricity from charging batteries all the time. any ways i think jigging them is better with a small drift sock or anchoring but since they go so deep you got to use the trolling motor to some times cause of wind. how you use the drift sock is head to the side of the lake the wind is coming from adjacent to the deepest hole so it blow you across the deep drops of the lake etc.. and let the wind carry you across the lake slowly as you jig i use 1/4 ounce to 3/8 ounce egg sinker by the way and ultra lite rods same as bobber fishing.... any ways best of luck.... hope this helps

#134 ·
Thanks " Fellas " for your input. @ John ... I will go back to true turns. Use them for Specks ... gonna reload for Gills ;) I really like the heads up on the Specks as well. You can never learn too much . Will give a version of that presentation a try. Jigging for them have been fruitless at this point. Let's see how it goes again. Thanks and tight lines to you guys. Cropido Out !!! :coolgleam

#139 ·
Nice " Teener " there Secret Lure :fish2: They are there if you put in the time and right presentation. This time of year " Cotton Wood Days " can be a tough time to get after'm. Put a few hours in last eve. and bought home a mess of Gills. When the wind is from the east ... fish bite the least :mad: Even so ... I've got an idea :idea: Gonna give the C.I.A secret location a try in the coming days. It's primed for a limit of Specks. Will post results. Tight Lines ! Cropido Out ! :coolgleam

#143 ·
I used to fish Holloway years ago when I lived in Owosso it was abit closer. It seems I remember a lot of stumps. Is it possible to troll that place? I have been thinking about picking up a buddy that still lives over that way and take him there but would like to troll if possible.

#145 ·
Everyone knows you catch more fish in weeds, but! What kind of weeds, close to surface or the long tall weeds that come up from the bottom one by one. One place I like to fish has oodles of weeds, but most of them are the weeds that lie on the surface, a solid blanket of them. How do you fish them without !. weeds on the hook. 2. Losing the fish due to being tightly wrapped with weeds?

by the way. I use jigs most of the time, usually 1/8 to 1/4 oz. with twister tail grubs or tubes, plus a wax worm to make it smell better. Is there something better?
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.