Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Let's Talk Specks

400K views 3K replies 294 participants last post by  stickman1978 
#1 ·
Fellas ... Spring is about to show up. I hunt the allusive Crappie year around. There are places where guys are fishing open water and catching good fish now. What's your personal best Crappie ? What set up is your " go to " when Crappie fishing. Caught an 18 inch in 1989 ... no pictures ... it's true none the less. Always looking to improve and remain teachable when it comes to Crappie fishing. Biggest through the ice this year is 15 1/2 . ( posted in the Genn. County ice thread ) My best fish have come on minnows though I've slammed'em on tubes and twister styled baits as well. What's your best fish ? You favor plastics or meat ( minnows ... waxies ) Feel free to post pictures ... discuss strategies ... or just talk Slabb Crappies :) Looking forward to your posts. Tight Lines ! Cropido aka Ben Out ! :coolgleam

#82 ·
@secret lure

nice!

casting or trolling? my guess is casting?lol's

if casting try a pink jig head and white mister twister tail soft plastic twister tail. under a float if you have any. with white i always test depth/how stained the water is and were the fish sit at all at once. like if you set the bobber for 3 foot and it disappears were you can't see it any more two feet down. then there spawning or like to spawn a foot to two feet below that. so you set you mister twister tail a foot to two foot below that so a total of four foot max.
cast and retrieve real slow just to get that twister tail working. i run a lot of tubes and gulp, minnow and troll on certain lakes etc.. etc.. too... try it see how you do?

#83 · (Edited)
Thank you & it was casting. I'm big on multi-species approach so when I go bass fishing I catch pike & when I go pike fishing I catch bass & when I go bass/pike fishing I catch crappie & so on & so forth.....I designed tackle box like that on purpose for different reasons I'll keep 'secret'

Secret Lure

#85 ·
Crappies are spawning right now. Most dead trees in the water are holding fish. I don't eat crappies so throw almost all of them back. However, doing fish taxidermy is one of my hobbies so I keep the biggest ones.

#87 ·
Picked up an 11" speck (which I ate like a real man) & 13" speck (which I let go like a nice guy) & also caught a 17" bass using same Rapala Clackin' Rap 06 in Hot Steel color pattern with medium/slow retrieve

Secret Lure

Attachments

#89 ·
With this cold spell they moved back into a little deeper water on my lake, about 3-4fow. Only fished for an hour and picked up 12. I've caught lots of 8-11in I think it's time to go for a teener!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

ya this cold weather has them heading deeper in the lakes...only got a 8 incher today and tossed it back before it started lightly raining a tad and getting windy. when i left it was not getting any better weather wise... maybe tomorrow?

#91 ·
Went out to Mott this morning for about 3 hours crappie fishing, 1 crappie and prolly 10 rock bass don't know if I missed the spawn out there or not but went to the same spots that held them last year and nothin, water temp. 62-64. Prolly try Holloway tm morning.

#96 ·
[/B]John sounds like you Guys got that " majick " working. Not far behind . Getting all my chores out of the way. Gonna put a full day on those " Teener Specks " tomorrow. Hot Pink Road Runner with a pearl colored twister killed'em last trip. At least the Bigguns. Good search bait. Then ... sat on them with Fat Heads to the tune of 40 sumpin between us two. Can't wait. Net is a must. Have a blast man. That time of year! Cropido aka Ben Out ! [/B]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.