Let's Talk Specks

Discussion in 'Warm Water Fishing Inland LP Lakes' started by cropido, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Lance Cashler

Lance Cashler

Stickman, fill me in on your trolling setup. I have tried white twister tails, beetle spins. I am not doing it right

2. stickman1978

stickman1978

I do not troll up here. I just cast and retrieve. I usually work the deep edge of the weed line.

In Florida they do what is called spider rigging. Lots of You Tube videos. We also just drift if the wind is right. Big key is speed and depth depending on the body of water and where the fish are at. Best speed we have found is about .5 to .6 mph. You only want enough weight to keep the bait at target depth. When the fish are in 6 to 8 fow we are fishing down about 3 to 3.5 ft down usually a split shot works under a bobber. This way you can pull them 10yards behind the boat. The true spider riggers use a 14ft. pole and push them in front of the boat. In deeper water, 20 to 30 fow, we use more weight and no bobber same speed .5 to .6 mph. Hope this helps.

PS live minnows as bait.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Lance Cashler and garyb like this.

3. Lance Cashler

Lance Cashler

4. stickman1978

stickman1978

We would use this method out at the Charity Island to find perch in the 70's. Drifted with a sinker and minnow just off bottom. Difference was when we found fish we anchored. Crappie are usually more suspended.

5. Hookernuts

Hookernuts

Any advice for keeping the mosquitoes away at night? One wrong move with the OFF and the fish will smell it.

6. Drake

Drake

7. bapotter

bapotter

Got 10 this morning. Solid 10-13 inchers. Trolling jigs with boot tail shads and twisters over weeds in 9-12 fow. Surface temp hovering right around 80 degrees.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

8. bapotter

bapotter

9. walyking

walyking

10. Lance Cashler

Lance Cashler

Well I didn’t kill them by any means, but I collected enough for dinner. Boot tail jigs on the fall, or drifting. Bonus white bass and bluegill too. My graph said 87 for a surface temperature 3F20CF0A-9E96-4B12-9549-F8BF99A578B8.jpeg

11. Lance Cashler

Lance Cashler

Hey, I tried the boot tail after I saw your post. Tried a few styles yesterday, but the boot was the only one to produce

zzcop302 and bapotter like this.
  12. bapotter

bapotter

My boat is at our cabin, but next time up I'll take a pic of my best producer. I found it about 5 years ago and it has outproduced any other bait I troll. It's a small shad, 1.5in I think, green-brown in color with black flecks. It really turns on as soon as the water warms and the bugs start hatching. I think the color and movement of the boot tail mimic the feeling/sight of the swimming motion of hatching mayfly nymphs...who knows but the fish just like it for some reason. I'm always running 3-6 different baits (at times I use a three way swivel to two jigs on each rod) and it is consistently good.

Lance Cashler likes this.
  13. Lance Cashler

Lance Cashler

Went fishing shaded areas for about 2.5 hours on Spring lake. Purple white boot tail falling was enough to get 5 more for the pot. Biggest was 13”. Dont usually kill fish 12” up, but dang it I’m hungry!

Attached Files: