close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Let's Talk Specks

Discussion in 'Warm Water Fishing Inland LP Lakes' started by cropido, Mar 23, 2014.

1. cropido

cropido

Fellas ... Spring is about to show up. I hunt the allusive Crappie year around. There are places where guys are fishing open water and catching good fish now. What's your personal best Crappie ? What set up is your " go to " when Crappie fishing. Caught an 18 inch in 1989 ... no pictures ... it's true none the less. Always looking to improve and remain teachable when it comes to Crappie fishing. Biggest through the ice this year is 15 1/2 . ( posted in the Genn. County ice thread ) My best fish have come on minnows though I've slammed'em on tubes and twister styled baits as well. What's your best fish ? You favor plastics or meat ( minnows ... waxies ) Feel free to post pictures ... discuss strategies ... or just talk Slabb Crappies :) Looking forward to your posts. Tight Lines ! Cropido aka Ben Out ! :coolgleam

Vertical jig likes this.
  2. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

They also call them specks where I grew up on the Florida line and they are my Moms favorite fish to eat. I like perch myself!

Down there I've caught them that would measure from my fingertips to my elbow but its been a while since I caught anything over maybe 16" here or down south on vacation.

I like hooking the minnows by the tail so they jerk more and draw fish but I've caught them with tubes, flies and most anything else. I've been using Alabama rigs the last season and a half and experimenting with that. My recent purchase of the iPilot system for my boat should put the final touches on that tactic and its showing great promise already.

Anyway, specks are great fun and good to eat. Nice thread and I'm looking forward to some new ideas from the other members and waiting for the ice to leave.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014

3. mandryz

mandryz

Good post,would like to learn something from this one. Chased em 20 years ago always in the spawn, channels and timber, but always heard of guys catching 3-4 weeks previous to that.Where and how?I've always had luck on minnow and bobber or jig and bobber...if I could get shiners that was a bonus.

4. cropido

cropido

I've heard of them being called " Sacolait " in the south. Have a friend who drop shots them while fishing close to me. Seen him pull out some dandy " teener " Crappie. While I'm nailing 'em on bobbers up high ... he fishes the bottom and does well though waaaay too slow for me when the are on the warm up/feed bag early after ice out. The Floridian warmer climates grows some monsters as their metabolisims never slow down as much as the north. Tight Lines ! Cropido Out ! :coolgleam

5. JimJim

JimJim

That's what the Cajuns call 'em.

6. boutdun

boutdun Premium Member

I lived down there for 6 years fished the big O twice a week most weeks but I was after gills,sacolait were fairly easy to catch,mostly with jigs in the heavy weeds,probably would have fished them more if the gills hadn't been so easy,I love those big slab gills

7. shrubmasters@gmail.com

shrubmasters@gmail.com

Personal best was 17.5 from an east Texas private lake. I was jigging an 1/8 oz. beatle spin in 20 fow. Boy was i surprised when i saw it wasnt another bass. Next day her twin hit a crayfish crank. Both released. 😳😳. Pic in photo album somewhere??? Ill look for it. Right after ice out and bfore the water warms,its hard to beat a small tube n minnow combo. I like to hit the areas where i was catching them ice fishing. If their aggressive ill try the fly rod wth a sinking line n various streamers. Pink n white being the go to pattern. Come on warm weather!!! Shrubby

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

8. cropido

cropido

Here's a few from last spring. Tube & Waxie. Minnows & bobber. Can't wait till the water opens up. Tight Lines ! Cropido aka Ben Out !!! :coolgleam[​IMG]

9. Secret Lure

Secret Lure

Few from past couple years :

Secret Lure

Attached Files:

10. pdp3

pdp3

drop shot rig
    float a min
    tube n 1/16 jig
    flies
    mini crankbaits
    trolling
    drifting
    jiggler
    night lights
    :dizzy: list goes on

11. angry angler

angry angler

Trolling cranks Ben

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Attached Files:

12. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Sure, that will work great! I like the small rapalas. What do you use?

13. ready2fish

ready2fish

There are many good ways to target crappie, I believe the best bait is the one you have the most confidence in.

For me I do ok catching crappie using plastics, I even switch over to hard water fishing using plastic, yes there are times when live bait works better.

I have friends that cast, bobber fish, troll (longline) and even slow troll (spider rig) and they all put fish in the bucket.

Some good crankbaits you might want to try out are Bandit's, I've tried them but they work better with lakes that hold shad, some of the people I've fished with down south do really well using them.

14. eyeball

eyeball

I like sight fishing them in structure during the spawn. Flipping white tubes so I can see bait. I only get a small window when conditions are perfect but when you're on them it doesn't take long. They generally don't see the freezer...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

15. angry angler

angry angler

Hot n tots lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Ohub Campfire mobile app