close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Let the training begin.

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Phoolish, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Phoolish

Phoolish

Going to start training chief for deer recovery, does anyone have any pointers?[​IMG]

Joe Archer likes this.
  2. FullQuiver

FullQuiver

Bring him on as many trails where you know the deer is dead and know location to start with.. (Watched it drop) Lots of positive reinforcement along the way... He'll figure it out if he's worth his salt.. Make sure when you do bring him out to train him that the deer hasn't been tracked by anyone so as to confuse him with the human scent...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Phoolish likes this.

3. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

Nope but cool dog is he Chesapeake bay or cb mix ? Looks like my Blu .

4. Phoolish

Phoolish

Chesapeake bay retriever. 4 .5months he's a brute 45 pounds already

5. FullQuiver

FullQuiver

If he isn't well behaved give him a year to settle down.. Unruly dogs need the basics before moving onto these kind of more advanced tasks..

Phoolish likes this.
  6. Phoolish

Phoolish

Super well behaved and smart as a whip. Took about 10 minutes for him to figure out sit and had lay and stay in the first week.

7. FullQuiver

FullQuiver

I'd bet he does fine..

8. plugger

plugger Premium Member

Especially with a young dog start him on easy tracks. When my wife was starting our young dog she sometimes had to wash his feet and belly because the blood trail was so heavy he wore part of it. Learning your part of working with your dog is as important as what he needs to learn. Take your time and make him work slow to start.

mbrewer, Phoolish and FullQuiver like this.
  9. ibthetrout

ibthetrout

I'm not sure what other trackers will say about this, but before I ever even thought about tracking deer I played a game with my beagle where he had to find a hidden treat in the house. I used the command "find it". Last fall I shot a buck the day after Thanksgiving about 20 minutes before last light and it had started to drizzle. I walked back to the house and got the dog, took him to the spot where it was shot. I found 2 small drops of blood. As soon as I saw him sniff that blood I gave him the find it command. He did a 100 yard track straight to the buck like he'd done it his whole life. I really think the find it games we played a large part in that. He knew what that command meant. Get your dog on a known good kill, hopefully he finds it and the first time is a good experience. Praise the hell out of him when he finds it. I think you'll be surprised how well he takes to it.

On a side note, I am tracking deer this year. This weekend I will gladly track for any youth or veteran in Washtenaw county (or close to), no charge. Just give me a call, Moe Trout 734-536-2853.

10. jstec

jstec

Best advice I've heard . Makes sence

11. Phoolish

Phoolish

I have a couple livers from ppl who got something during the youth hunt. I read because of the strong sweet smell it works good for training

12. michael marrs

michael marrs

a buddy of mine trained his mixed breed dog, and said it was remarkably easy. He said a year earlier, ( this year for you) he got a deer, and saved a back leg, from the knee down, and, he saved as much blood as he could, and put the blood in freezer bags , and in the freezer. For training, he left the dog in the house, took the leg with some blood on it, and did a drag with the leg, dropping some blood every couple feet, on a well beaten path, for 50 yds or so, and set the leg down. Went into the house, got the dog, and said " find it", or "serch", and showed the dog the first bit of blood, You praise the dog, at every find, up until you are on the leg, where he gets a HUGE amount of praise. Next day or so, again , with the blood a little farther apart, and as he gets good at it take him occasionally off path into brush, then back on path. The blood gets dropped a little farther apart as his progress gets better. If you can find a few different paths to work with, so much the better. and eventually the rain cleans them all off, but you get to vary the course. I used to train dogs for obedience, and his method made very good sense to me. This has to be done in the form of a game to the dog. I also believe it has to be done "on leash", but longer then a typical 6 footer. so if he goes off track, you can correct him with a slight tug, and "no", and AS SOON as he is back on track PRAISE. When he finds the leg immediate, and huge PRAISE, dogs love to please their handlers. As you slow down on the blood, I believe the dog is now tracking the gland between the deers hoofs, which is miportant if the deer is not pouring blood, but in any case, it teaches to dog to search. sorry about the book, and good luck to you both

13. Phoolish

Phoolish

Thanks you.

The kit I got comes with deer hide and a mixture of blood and gland scents. I'm hoping to get him started and if I get one that's easy to track I can have him do it.

michael marrs likes this.
  14. michael marrs

michael marrs

remember 2 things ,, correction, and PRAISE, you will both be fine

Phoolish likes this.
  15. ibthetrout

ibthetrout

The deer legs are what you really want. Each individual deer has a unique scent. Most dogs follow the scent of a deer, not as much as the scent of their blood. A lot of the deer scent comes glands in their legs. Blood works too, but my understanding is legs work better for training.

Phoolish and michael marrs like this.