close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Learning to 2 Hand Cast/Fish?

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by OH-YEAH!!!, Jan 31, 2018.

1. OH-YEAH!!!

OH-YEAH!!!

For 20 years I’ve dreamt of going to southern Patagonia to catch a big sea trout. I’m finally getting to go in exactly one year.

It’s often very windy there and 2 handed rods are recommended. I am a gear collector and have picked up on close out 4 switch rods, an 11 foot 6 weight Winston BIIx, a 11’9” 7 weight Sage Method (a broomstick I can’t cast), an 11’6” Sage One 7 weight and a 11’ Sage Z Axis which I think is a 5 weight.

Anyway, I’ve got all this stuff and have no idea about lines, effective casts, methods, etc.

I’ve got a year and live in Grand Haven close to Lake Michigan where I plan to go on fairly windy days to practice.

So, who are some Newaygo area Spey/switch fishing guides who I can book to practice with? Any recommended books/videos to help?

Thank you!

2. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

Not sure if they still exist, but there were 2 Spey clinics at Henning in years past.

Spey Clave and Spey Days. I think they were sponsored by Great Lakes Flyfishing Co

OH-YEAH!!! likes this.

3. BeanOFish

BeanOFish

Skagit Master Volume 1 was where I initially learned/picked things up. Ed Ward does a great job of breaking things down. Great Lake Fly in Rockford has anything and everything that you could possibly need for Spey fishing. For on the water lessons, a lot of guides are doing two-hander trips, but the one's that I have learned the most with, and felt like they did a great job were Jeff Hubbard (Outfitters North), or Supinski.

OH-YEAH!!! likes this.
  4. Chromedoggy

Chromedoggy

Newaygo?
    Kevin Feenstra

mfs686, Mike and OH-YEAH!!! like this.
  5. StormyChromer

StormyChromer

mfs686 and OH-YEAH!!! like this.
  6. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Kevin Feenstra is the guy that I would contact. He has a couple of others that work with him and would be good also. I know of several of my friends from our fly club that book with him for 2 handed fishing. Also check with Glen Blackwell at Great Lakes Fly Shop in Rockford.
    I am not sure but I think the Spey Cleve is in Sept. Check with either Kevin or Glen they will know.

D

mfs686 likes this.
  7. mfs686

mfs686

Peter Humphries offers Spey Casting classes.

OH-YEAH!!! likes this.
  8. Chromedoggy

Chromedoggy

Good Call. Pete is not only a FFF Master instructor, I believe he is still the only FFF certified Two Hand instructor in Michigan

mfs686 and OH-YEAH!!! like this.
  9. mfs686

mfs686

If you don't mind making the drive Schultz's Outfitters in Ypsilanti will have Spey Casting Instructors at their Demo days the first weekend in June.

jjc155 and OH-YEAH!!! like this.
  10. jjc155

jjc155

Yep check out Demo Days if you can. Always two handed casting classes. The names you want to look for on the Class lists are: Jimmy Chang, Will Turek and Jeff Liskay. All three have helped me a lot over the years with my two hand casting and are great teachers.

I havent see the class/instructor list yet for this years Demo Day (which is the first week end in June) but I should have an idea who and what will be going on soon.

Other people that have taught two hand stuff at Schultz's over the years have included Pete Humphreys, April Volkey, Tom Larimer and Greg Senyo, so ontop of the others I have mentioned above they pull lots of great instructors/fisherpersons.

J-

OH-YEAH!!! and mfs686 like this.