Leader material preference?

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by AdamBradley, Sep 23, 2018.

1. wyandot

wyandot

Some of my lesser used stuff like 6lb. and 12lb. will last me 3-4 years for a small spool. No way in hell I'm throwing it out til the last inch is used up!

Treven and flyrodder46 like this.
  2. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Thanks for the additional input guys - treven - I’ll definitely take note of your experience and have some backup leader in my pack with me as I first start trying it out. Don’t want to be SOL on the river without an alternative option.

I do agree with your noted observation on the mainline fluoro and abrasion resistance - that’s exactly the downfall with trilene. It’s great and strong (and thick!) but terrible abrasion resistance. Sliding some sure shot on the sniper a few times to experiment, I did notice a pigtail peel on the 8lb just like I would expect on trilene. Sliding sure shot on 12 lb sniper that I intend to use as shot line, I didn’t see any issues no matter how hard I tried. So I am definitely taking my observations with a grain of salt based on your true on the river observation. Buuuuut take in account bob and our buddy’s experiences, with my bench testing, and I’m still curious enough to try it.

As for grand max and frog hair, maybe I just need to tinker with it more? Or I need a fresh spool! Diameter for diameter the performance to me did not stand out when I ran the grand max in the past.....

Anyway, again, good discussion here and reminds me why I still come back to MS!

Treven likes this.

3. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Cheep, Cheep, Cheep!!!!! I couldn't find a smiley of a little chicken..:bonk:

But I agree with you some of my leader material may be 3-4 years old also. It only gets replaced when I run out or it starts to deteriorate and I break off.

wyandot likes this.
  4. fishrod

fishrod

Doesn’t everyone always carry multiple spools of leader material in different poundage.
    Always have,always will, be prepared. Guess thats the boy scout still in me.

5. REG

REG

1. Froghair flouro
    2. Grand Max flouro
    For fall/winter steelhead, I carry 1X to 4X, and most commonly use 2X. Right after they became available, I began using spools of flouro mainline stuff for leaders, but after going through the first spool of stuff, I kept finding the line on subsequent spools not as abrasion resistant and had more problems with breakoffs. So I went back to using leader material flouro. As it is, and after contacting Seaguar why the difference, I was told both types are 100% flouro, but they use different resins in the leader material vs the mainline type.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    Treven likes this.
  6. rbarta

rbarta

Watched this video a couple months ago and got me thinking about my leader choice. I mainly use fluorocarbon in either 8 or 10 lb. Berkley Vanish hasn't failed me yet (knock on wood) despite what seems to be everyone else having had problems with it. If im fishing a rocky fast flowing river then I switch back to maxima. Let me know your thoughts on the video

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  7. MickL

MickL

I would like to see the tests repeated using wet sandpaper and line.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  8. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

I don't think that you can compare this to what we use for leader material in Mi. What REG said earlier about the difference in leader VS mainline material makes sense to me, every company tries to get the best out of a product for the lowest cost. Thus to me the leader material will be tougher (abrasion resistant) than mainline, each has their place and everyone has their opinion on which is best.

9. Chromedoggy

Chromedoggy Premium Member

10. Fishndude

Fishndude

I favor some sort of Seguar fluorocarbon leader. I buy 8# and 10# for Steelhead, and 15# for Kings. As Treven mentioned, I try to replace it when I've had it for 1 year, as it absolutely loses it's breaking strength after a year. When I break a hot Steelhead off, I want to know that fished earned the win. :bowdown:

eggfly likes this.
  11. wyandot

wyandot

I could get onboard with throwing out a spool of leader material after 5-6 seasons, or maybe if you left it in the back window of your car all summer long. A guide spool of 3x (100 yards) typically lasts me 2-3 seasons with no compromise in breaking strength or knot strength. Same thing with mono. I load up when I catch it on sale and keep it stored out of the sunlight with zero problems.

12. Fishndude

Fishndude

Yeah, after fishing for Salmon and Steelhead for 45+ years, I don't store my leader spools in the back window of my car, which is a truck. To each their own. But if you have to start "babying" the fish you fight, because your leader might break, then you either have bad leader material, or need to buy heavier leader. I've learned through experience not to use fluorocarbon that is much more than 1 year old. Mono doesn't get brittle nearly as fast. And since I store my line in dark places, I buy big spools of mono, and use it for years.

Treven likes this.
  13. sherman51

sherman51

I troll lake erie and I use seaguar premier in 20# test. its almost invisible under water. I use improved clinch knot for lures and a uni to uni to join line.

14. slightofhand

slightofhand

I have heard that high end fluorocarbon with 100% PVDF resins is actually used for medical purposes and inserted permanently inside the human body even on catheters....so no shelf life. Fluoro leader mixed with lower quality resins or mixed with nylon like called “fluorocarbon line” will break down. All mono will break down after about a year in my experience regardless of how I store it. 100 yards of one fluorocarbon is priced less than 50 yards of another, I buy the 50 yard spool....9/10 its better raw materials.

15. Bob Hunter

Bob Hunter

Since i started using the 8# Sniper last fall I have hooked well over 100 steelhead while using it and have never broke off a single fish with it. I had to bump up my main line from Sufix Elite 10 up to 12 because the 10 main kept breaking before the 8 sniper and I was losing all my bobbers.

adam bomb likes this.