Leader material preference?

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by AdamBradley, Sep 23, 2018.

1. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

I know I personally ran maxima ultra green for many years as my leader mostly 6lb label. Several years back I jumped on a fluoro push, and have remained there.

Looking to see what everyone prefers these days and why.

I think some good info here would include brand you use, preferred pound test, and why you prefer fluoro over mono, or vice Versa. The knot you tie may also play a role. Maybe any weaknesses you feel your current leader has.

So - I will start it out-
    Fluoro
    6-8lb labeled Drennan or trilene 100% pro grade
    I have fished it for the supposed light refraction matching that of water closer than nylon, supposed increased abrasion resistance
    Knots- either egg loops or uni style snell on plain hook, trilene knot on jigs and swivels.
    Weaknesses - I can’t help but question if I have some varying knot strength not matter how careful I am and how much I wet it down. Ultra green was always a smoooooooth knot when tying.

Looking forward to other’s thoughts! Can be fun!

2. wyandot

wyandot

I used mono. for many years and honestly didn't have problems catching fish. I switched to fluorocarbon several years ago when the water level got super low and clear. My go to is Froghair fluoro in 4-12lb. depending on what I'm fishing for. I probably go through more 8lb. than all other sizes combined, and I like the fact that I can get Frog hair in 100 yard spools at a huge discount. I also get good, consistent knot strength with froghair, no fancy knots, just the same old improved clinch that I've been using for 40 years. I bottom bounce a lot, and find most good fluoro leader material is more durable than even the toughest of monofilament.

Treven likes this.

3. eggfly

eggfly

When I stated center pin fishing 5 years ago I switched from Maxima to Phantom fluorocarbon leader. I typically carry 4.4, 5.6, 6.6, 7.6, and 8.8 pound spools. I tried Froghair and was disappointed but I really think I got an old spool. I use 8 pound Maxima for my bobber setups for the pier.

The reason I like Phantom is; easy to find in my area, good knot strength, limber for fluorocarbon, affordability, and comes on spools that are not to small but not to big.

I’d like to try Drennan but I can’t find any in my area.

4. nighttime

nighttime

Maxima ultra is a great line and a good value. I still use it occasionally and recommend it to new bees I introduce.
    Now seems like I have a variety in the jacket now mostly seaguar invizx and p line floro. Most knots are improved clinch knot for me, I topically bring thru eye twice tho. Always wet line and use finger nail to help tighten/guide down as I tighten. Steelhead #6 to start and up to 8# conditions pending, rarely 10#, 15# main. Salmon 30# main and 17# seaguar invisx lead and sometimes bump up to 20# if the bites on

5. jd4223

jd4223

I use Seaguar(STS,6lb).If I need to go heavier,I use Seaguar(red label).

Firdog likes this.
  6. tuckersdad

tuckersdad

7. slightofhand

slightofhand

A few good ones listed here. Maxima and drennan way understate their breaking strength and blow up mainline if not careful. Sts from seaguar is the lowest quality I have used. Froghair, blood Run, blackbird, black water and toray all excellent

8. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

I have used Maxima Ultragreen for years in 4-15# depending on conditions and species and still use it 85% of the time. I carry a couple of different floro leaders (Phantom, Frog, and Drennan are what I have) and will occasionally use them if I think conditions warrant.
    Snell and Eggloop knots 90% of the time when float fishing. I normally use a swivel between leader and mainline, but will use a Blood Knot on occasion. When tying in a swivel I use a Polamor from mainline and a Davy knot on leader, strongest combinations I have found.

9. JungleGeorge

JungleGeorge

Looks like I’m the goofball. I don’t ever go below 10lb leader . Exclusive to seagaur : invisx and abrasx between 10 and 20lb . Fished next to buddy’s multiple times using 8 or 10 lb and never noticed they were hooking up more .

10. Bob Hunter

Bob Hunter

For several years I used maxima ultra green for bottom bouncing in 5 and 6lb and still do. I use the 6 exclusively while bottom bouncing in the fall when the fish are hot and aggressive. While bobber fishing the 5lb maxima ultra green was my go to leader line, then I jumped on the fluorocarbon bandwagon and had varied success with it, i mostly used different Seaguar leaders which left me breaking off more fish than i ever had due to knot failures. No matter how careful I was, my knots typically had some form of burning to them, so i quit using them all together and went back to the maxima ultra green until a friend turned me onto Sunline FC Super Sniper, the stuff is incredible and ties a very nice knot that doesn’t burn or ever fail me like the fluorocarbons of the past. I used the 8lb all last season from October through April and caught steelhead in all conditions while using it and it held up amazingly! I’m going to try out their 7lb this year once the water temperatures fall and the fish calm down. I still like the ultra green for bottom bouncing though because it works for me, and i go through lots of it. As far as knots go, I tie the basic fisherman’s knot most of the time, and the Trilene knot for jigs.

11. Treven

Treven Banned

Seaguar Grand Max, best crap I've ever used. It's like picking up your first high end rod, now all I have the taste for is filet...

#2 is Frog Hair/Gamma. Same stuff. Frog Hair can be had in 100m spools.

#3 Rio Fluoroflex, I only use it in a pinch when Grand Max isn't in stock and I'm an idiot and didn't pay attention to how much I have...

Then, Maxima Ultra Green, if all else fails and I'm SOL.

12. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Thanks for the good discussion here guys! Bob - you and our little fishbum buddy that just got back from Alaska persuaded me to order some sniper. The cinch down on the knot is pretty unreal! You are right! I will be giving it a go on the river this fall.

Most other lines listed here I have dabbled with - frog hair I think I may have gotten an old spool. It burned bad no matter what knot I tied.

It definitely sounds like between discussion here and over on the other site that fluoro has proven to be favored namely the abrasion resistance factor by most.

I’ll try to remember to come back and post thoughts once I have hooked some fish on it!

13. salmonsteel97

salmonsteel97

I use trilene xl. Tried and true for me I never looked back. So under rated for a leader material. 8lb exclusively and 6lb on very rare occasion. 14lb and up for salmon.

14. BMARKS

BMARKS

I have always and still use maxima ultragreen. works well, ive never had a reason to try anything diff. mostly 8lb sometimes 6 sometimes 10. and i use the uni style snell knot on hooks and the old fishermans knot at the swivel. i personally dont improve my knots. they cinch down better for me. knot failure is never an issue for me. and i can get the little leader spools and carry 6 8 and 10 without much room in the jacket.

15. Treven

Treven Banned

My circle tried Sunline's Super Sniper and thought it was the greatest since sliced bread, especially 7lb. I gave it a go one weekend and promptly broke off 3 fish in a row. Babied it the rest of the weekend and ordered more Grand Max while I was on the river eating lunch that Sunday.

I actually like Sniper for mainline on a bass sized baitcaster, as a Tatsu alternative, for walleye/everything else warm water fishing when I need stretch for Jigging & Rippin Raps (Just got in some Sufix Advance today to try in 4lb through 14lb for mainline - fingers crossed it's the real deal!), but it's a no-go for me as leader. Quite frankly, I don't even like Tatsu for leader. Any mainline fluoro has marginally better abrasion resistance than Ultragreen, especially compared to actual leader material. If some fluoro mainline does have enough abrasion resistance, I bet it's wirey enough [and thick enough] to affect your presentation. That's what I hate about Grand Max, the stuff checks all the boxes, except for price.

Just my findings, your mileage may vary.

Oh yeah, I throw out all my fluoro after 1 year from the date of purchase. I actually go to great lengths to buy the freshest spool, by contacting the vendor and asking politely for the freshest stuff. The highest-end Seaguar, like Grand Max and Tatsu, I'll stretch a little longer than a year. I've been told it should be good for 2 years out of direct sunlight and extreme temps.