Launch ramp advice

Discussion in 'Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River' started by Brian027, May 13, 2018.

1. Brian027

Brian027

Need some input here, but first some quick background. I launch primarily out of St Clair city launch which is 2 lanes, so weekends and when the bite is on, things get a little backed up with one launch and one retrieve lane (at least it supposed to be but it’s not followed very often). My question is this, when you witness someone that is not efficient at launching or is in need of some advice what’s a respectful approach?
    Recently I was retrieving after dark when a young guy (20s) and his girlfriend were launching next to me. Not only did 3 boats retrieve while he was still launching, but he had his headlights on the whole time instead of switching to parking lights. I mentioned something to him “hey can I give you some advice for launching at night?” But it wasn’t well received.
    I generally mind my own business but I cant help but observe others launch habits while I’m there. I’ve certainly picked up a few tricks from others along the way. And let me add, most regular fisherman are respectful and efficient at the process. New boaters don’t bother me much, but people who seem to be in their own world get under me skin.

2. 6667supersport

6667supersport

Was loading one afternoon at Selfridge and watched someone repeatedly try and backup their boat that wasn't having much luck. There a bunch of pleasure boaters bitching at this person. After pulling the boat up to the try down spot I walked back and ask the old guy if he would like me to back his boat in for him, he jumped out of the truck like he was 18. I backed it in, he tied the boat up and then went to park his truck and trailer. The pleasure boaters shouldn't have gotten pissed and bitched, they should have asked the guy if he needed any help. They would have been able to get their boats in faster and get to the party quicker.

starcraft18, eucman, foxcat and 9 others like this.

3. Bam69

Bam69

Whenever pleasure boaters are thrown into the mix it turns it into 360 degrees of ****around.

ESOX, Gater DONE, auger and 1 other person like this.
  4. Junior G3

Junior G3

One could grab a case of beer and a lawn chair and give boat launching/retrieving advice every 5 minutes at most of the major DNR launches on a weekend. It can be pure entertainment at times.

5. retired dundo

retired dundo

My fri end lives real close to self rite.when they don’t have anything to do on areal nice day him and his wife would bring there lawn chairs and cooler and sit down there.Best show is around 11 12 o,clock when pleasure boaters come and end of day.And really when a sudden storm comes up.He said a lot better than tv.Evan when h e has company sometimes they want to watch the show

Papa Liver likes this.
  6. Papa Liver

Papa Liver

Lmao. I’ve seen things at the launch that made me say WTF out loud. Even have asked myself am I in a ******* movie is this really happening

7. Slimshady

Slimshady

I always feel bad for those who have no clue how to back a trailer or launch. It takes practice and if you don’t do it often like we do, it is hard. But you’re right, offering advice or to take over can be a hit to ones man-hood, so they don’t always take it well.

8. Papa Liver

Papa Liver

Yeah but we never failed like the ones we speak about lol.

9. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

Was just talking about this to my buddy as we were coming in last trip, low and behold here comes a guy or actually 2, 50-60,000$ rigs and you think the fu#*%&# guy's could dock those rigs...NOPE !!! sideways and almost smacking into other boats.. I see a lot because I have to wait sometimes since there's a side I "need" to get out of my boat

Papa Liver likes this.
  10. Craves

Craves

I have been launching at St. Clair for the past 20 years & will admit that I was one of the "headlight guys" until someone told me about turning them off...that is how I learned. If someone tells me a better way to do something, I listen.

That being said, watching guys go into their own world and waste time at the launch is frustrating. I watched two guys last Wednesday get dressed like they were going to the Arctic in the launching lane at Marine City while boats were waiting...ugh

Walleye1975 likes this.
  11. Brian027

Brian027

I’ll have to admit, there are evenings my wife and I grab a cup of coffee and go sit by the launch to watch the action. A couple observations: a) roller trailers and inexperienced boaters who make sudden stops when backing up make things interesting. Saw this once last year as the boat slid into the water, scraped the concrete ramp, then drifted past the end of the dock before the guy could get out of the truck. And b) gotta love the guy that launches at a busy ramp, parks his vehicle, THEN decides to hit the restroom before walking down to his boat.
    My thoughts - be efficient with your own boat, be patient with others, be helpful when possible. This season is still young.

starcraft18, Tryin2 and snortwheeze like this.
  12. Sharkbait11

Sharkbait11

Well I had an oopsies this year 7am on a busy 4 lane ramp...accidentally slid my arm over the lock on my door when I went to unhook the boat and then shut it...1+hr sitting on the ramp with truck running and keys locked in it...couple nice guys offered help but im sure there were people cursing me up and down behind my back. Felt like an idiot but it was purely unlucky my arm pushed down the lock due to wearing a big heavy coat...now I roll down my window and keep the door open and put a spare door only key on the truck in inconspicuous place..
    triple redundancy system cause no way do I want that to happen again...however instead of sit there like a chump I helped others launch to speed up the process I was painstakingly slowing down.

13. miruss

miruss

I put mine on the keys with the boat keys !!:hide:

Remington likes this.
  14. Johnr

Johnr

there are a lot of idiots launching on weekends , thats for sure. its not that unusal to see guys pull up just out of water, then decide to tie up and put on straps, while headlights are on, and others waiting behind these jerks to either go in or come out. surprised there isnt any boatramp rage yet.

15. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

Pointing out someone’s shortcomings might not always be received with open arms, especially when that someone is accompanied by a female he might want to impress.

I’m willing to bet my lucky hat that next time he will dim his lights....lol