Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Latex is deadly

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  357Maximum 
#1 ·
Slipped out for a slow quiet stalk along the snow drift filled spruce/wild rose/autumn olive hedgerow on the south side of my property this morning right at daylight. I just knew with the warmer temps they would be sittin out for the takin. In just a little over a half hour I managed two rabbits with homecast 32 cal lead roundballs and my little Osage Orange Slingshot. First one was sitting tight and got a perfect head shot from about 15 feet..DRT. Second one was about 15 yards. Took him at the base of the head/neck and had to administer another shot cou de grace from about 6 feet while he was bouncin about. Flat missed another one in between them two, but that one may have ended up being the second kill, not for sure on that?

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks.........Between my crabapples, apples, autumn olive, raspberry, wild roses, etc, as well as the neighbors crops they are pretty well fed and it shows. It is a lot of fun. After getting back into slingshots seriously a few years ago even the bow is starting to feel like cheating and a shotgun just flat feels wrong. It is big fun, quiet, and cheap. Making your own frames also keeps the Devil at bay. :lol: If slingbows were legal in Michigan my rabbits would get a lot bigger and maybe even have antlers. :lol:

#7 ·
Thanks, I prefer squirrel to rabbit for eating also. If the rabbits would leave my bushes, shrubs, and autumn olive alone they would likely live much longer lives. Well some of them would anyway, it is rather fun. Rabbits are much easier prey than squirrels when it comes to a slingshot though. My squirrel kills with a slingshot are all TROPHY status in my book.

#8 ·
Fine shootin!

One similar morning I took a sneak ,toting the shotgun.
This was in the whack a mole handloading days when an occasional round only poofed shot out the barrel. ( Some kind of quality / worker issue possibly related to no powder being involved now and then for fear of double charging).
So there was some element of challenge to such hunting.

Spotted a bunny about two feet from a hole. Just inside my maximum range,( with a " good" round).
It alert pose helped decide to take the shot without closing any farther.
"Pow!", and shot traveled faster than it could be watched...a good round! l.o.l..
Brer Rabbit just sat there.
Pride and economy argued about having another go at it , but the shot had been called as on the money anyways and so the raggit was approached.
It was then left where it sat upright watching it's world ,frozen solid!

#9 ·
Them ol whack a mole reloaders, oh my. That is the only tool I have ever had a primer go off in when it wasn't meant to. After I set off the primer in the living room my very new Bride at the time insisted I buy better loading equipment. The rest is my own personal "factory" of toy$ and hi$tory later. :lol:

Frozen rabbit...that's funny. I bet you were as pleased with your stalking ability as I was the day I stalked a woodchuck a "buddy" of mine propped up out in the field. I spent 15 minutes getting within .22 range of that rigored up woodchuck. AAAAAAAAAARG, it took two hits before I wondered what the h?

Reactions: Dish7 and Waif
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.