Latest CWD Map

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Luv2hunteup, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Groundsize

Groundsize

Come on now. The DNR obviously. Your saying a 3000 head test in Livingston county or isabela or Monroe would yield negative findings or positive? I think the dnr is doing us all a disservice to not test on a large level in an expanded area.
    Then again once found in an area nothing will be done other then shooting more deer and testing for prevalence.

LabtechLewis likes this.
  2. Groundsize

Groundsize

I agree!

Sparky23 likes this.

3. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

Not sure how you made that leap from what I was saying. The DNR accepted every sample I sent in from deer killed in Livingston County in the past two years and provided results in a timely manner. I'm not sure what else to say about it. "They" was me, because that's what I can control. The DNR did not deny my request.

motdean and Groundsize like this.
  4. Groundsize

Groundsize

Im all about voluntary head donation. But I think we need a little more then that. Unless there were 3,000 donated heads. I'm not targeting you just saying .

LabtechLewis likes this.
  5. Waif

Waif

6. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

I know you weren't singling me out. I appreciate your willingness to discuss these issues.

I'm sure you picked up on my sensitivity to use of "they". Everyone has the opportunity to contribute to the whole. It's a personal choice.

What are you proposing, then? Do you wish to have mandatory testing? Increased drop-off locations? I think it was sniper that advocated for testing road kills. Seems like it could help increase sample size. Would I be willing to carry a head removal kit around in my car and execute the plan when the opportunity arises? Possibly. Especially if I feel strongly about the cause. Would you? Or do you just want "them" to do it?

7. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

Exactly! Once discovered in an area it is likely already to late for that area, and just as likely to already be spreading from that area.
    That is why efforts to manage for CWD containment should have been implemented peninsula wide as soon as they found the first positive case in the wild.
    I think that we all agree with your contention above that CWD exists in many counties that we do not currently know about.
    <----<<<

Groundsize likes this.
  8. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Is many counties 40 or 50 or closer to 10% of that?

9. swampbuck

swampbuck

I think its pretty safe to assume that there are some undiscovered positives between those orange townships, those prions didnt fly that far.

10. kisherfisher

kisherfisher

I have been watching a herd of deer in survival mode , eating leftover beans in a cropped field behind my house. Anywhere from 22 -40 . They are bumping , pushing, lying, next to each other. This typical for this time of year, but goes to show they co-mingle regardless of what we do. If any have CWD, most others will also. The DNR is not going to correct anything. Nature will run its course.

11. Bucket-Back

Bucket-Back

We border Mecosta, Montcalm, and Kent counties, just a matter of time before Newaygo get's it's first confirmed case

12. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

[QUOTE="Liver and Onions, post: 7231133, member: 807".........
    Over the past 2 years, what township has had the highest % of positives ? Spencer out of Kent County or Sidney in Montcalm.
    L & O[/QUOTE]

I do not have the 2 year numbers, but in 2018 it was neither of the above 2. It was Pierson(M) at 4.0% followed by Spencer(K) at 3.5%. Sidney(M) was at 2.65%.
    I did post the list in the CWD Bi-Weekly Report thread.

Bucket-Back--probably true what you said, however you should be encouraged by the number of Newaygo tests from the past 2 years with zero positives. That's a lot of tests with zero positives.

L & O

13. Waif

Waif

I do not have the 2 year numbers, but in 2018 it was neither of the above 2. It was Pierson(M) at 4.0% followed by Spencer(K) at 3.5%. Sidney(M) was at 2.65%.
    I did post the list in the CWD Bi-Weekly Report thread.

Bucket-Back--probably true what you said, however you should be encouraged by the number of Newaygo tests from the past 2 years with zero positives. That's a lot of tests with zero positives.

L & O[/QUOTE]

IF I recall correctly....Pierson had no positives early on when Reynolds and Maple Valley did.
    (Pierson being between the two).

Newago has no barrier on it's Pierson border side.

C.W.D. can not be said to follow 131 , but positives seemed to from Mecosta South.

Interesting that Newago has dodged positives.
    Don't get me wrong , that is a good thing. But I do see where deer go back and forth over the line.

14. Whitetail Freak

Whitetail Freak

A deer just got hit crossing from Pierson township Montcalm County going into Newaygo County within the last couple days.

Bucket-Back likes this.
  15. Bucket-Back

Bucket-Back

I like your post, but not the message it sends

Whitetail Freak likes this.