close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Late summer gills

Discussion in 'Warm Water Fishing Inland LP Lakes' started by Vertical jig, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Vertical jig

Vertical jig

I sure hope the suspended gill fishing isn't over. I look forward to that pattern all year!! Sure has been a weird summer with it not really getting to hot and the cold nights starting in mid August. We had 4 nights that hit the 40's for lows in the last two weeks and suppose to be 45 tonight and tomorrow for lows :(

cropido and crossneyes like this.
  2. crossneyes

crossneyes

Ya,I'm not ready to hunt yet!:(

Vertical jig likes this.

3. fishgtbay

fishgtbay

Last year in late September my wife and myself found some suspended in 17 ft of water and had a blast, hopefully she's up to it again this year.

4. mudpuppie

mudpuppie

Wednesday we couldn't find any suspended 'gills on the clear northern lake we fish, but we finally found some on the bottom in 35'. As soon as we caught a few the fish started to move up in the water column, until there was a cloud of them on he graph half way down. From then on it was non-stop, with many fish grabbing the jig on the drop and already hooked when we tightened the line.

5. williewater99

williewater99

I found a few suspended about 8-10 feet down, over 25 FOW, yesterday (Sunday). Waxworms on a slip bobber was the ticket. Only had about a one hour window where the bite was on, then it shut down. I continued to mark fish, but no takers. Took home 13. Oakland County.

tinknocker1 and fishgtbay like this.
  6. mudpuppie

mudpuppie

Cold front sent them back to the bottom. Limited on fish 8.5-9" in 32-35' Threw back a few bigger bulls.

7. mudpuppie

mudpuppie

IMG_0951.JPG

Attached Files:

Vertical jig likes this.
  8. mudpuppie

mudpuppie

Oops...tried to put photo on previous post.

9. Vertical jig

Vertical jig

I guess we will have to call this thread "Early fall gills" now!!
    So gill lovers..What are some of your favorite fall gill tactics???

10. Fishsmith85

Fishsmith85

Well I went out today for about 9 hours and the bite was really tough. Checked some spots that were producing a few weeks ago, nothing. Slipped in shallower, nothing. Ended up doing a zig zag pattern from shallow to deep and picked up 8 keepers in no specific zone at all. Fish in general seem to be scattered with this cold front going. No complaints though I did get an 11" and a few 10's. ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1504748952.590484.jpg

11. Vertical jig

Vertical jig

Wow!!! Now that is a monster Gill!! Well done!! I have been after an 11 inches for many years!!

12. Fishsmith85

Fishsmith85

I assure you my skills had nothing to do with it. A guy I know was nice enough to take me out this year and show me his ways of catching gills. I watched him catch two monster gills in one day a 11.5" and 11.75" along with multiple 10's, it was ridiculous. Big girls go back for us though and the 9's get fried!

Vertical jig likes this.
  13. crossneyes

crossneyes

That's the way it's been for me and a buddy as well,on a lake we fish regularly. No rhyme or reason to where the next one will come from, one in 20 next one in 30
    Think it got to cold to fast

Vertical jig likes this.
  14. ShedAntler

ShedAntler

I fished yesterday afternoon. Tried the same spot that I limited on last week, 20 foot of water, and did not mark any fish. Started trolling in different water depths, and picked up a few, but no real pattern. Then my fish finder lit up when I went over some structure in 10 foot of water. I anchored there, and picked up my limit in short order. Gulp minnows about 5 foot down on a 1/32 ounce jig.
    090617.PNG

15. fishgtbay

fishgtbay

Shed Antler, when you troll what do u use? Yesterday, just thinking outside the box I tied up some "mini crawler harnesses" so I can use "Dillies" on them, earlier this year I trolled F-3s just to try something new and ended up w/1 11.5" crappie, as earlier post stated I only go after gills a couple times a year, but lately have a renewed interest in "going back to my youth" lol they are a lot of fun on ultralite gear....tight lines..