close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Late summer gills

Discussion in 'Warm Water Fishing Inland LP Lakes' started by Vertical jig, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Vertical jig

Vertical jig

Has anyone noticed the bigger gills starting to suspend out in deeper water above the thermocline yet?

2. Gill killa

Gill killa

That's the place I've been getting them lately. Just drifting across the middle of the lake with a split shot and worm. Not much for small ones probably 95% are keepers. As much as I hate using worms they have been working rather well. This lake is about 35' deep and clarity of 12-15'.

Carpe007, -Axiom- and Vertical jig like this.

3. mudpuppie

mudpuppie

I fish a clear, deep northern lake this time of year for suspended gills. Usually it doesn't start there until mid-August. I went Saturday and only caught a few decent ones....maybe another week or two. Cooler summer might delay it, too.

Vertical jig likes this.
  4. fishgtbay

fishgtbay

Went Saturday mid-morning caught some suspended over 15' also....started doing this once or twice a year the last few years just for a change of pace, last year used 'superworms" and the action was non-stop!!!!

5. rick on a fly

rick on a fly

What are super worms?

6. fishgtbay

fishgtbay

They are a "grub" that they sell at the pet stores, they use them to feed reptiles, they cost about 8.00 for 50, they are about 1" long and the head and a$$ end have brown on them with pinchers. Also have picture on one of these posts from months past....Tight lines

7. rick on a fly

rick on a fly

Thanks for the reply fishgtbay

8. koby

koby

The pattern is not in full effect yet. We have caught a few out in 25-30 FOW adjacent to the drops where weeds extend down to 20-22, but not like we would later in August. Best action for 8"ers or better has been right where those weeds end on the dropoff, 18-22 FOW and theyre closer to the bottom, like within 4 feet and not really flying up to crush it like they do when the thermocline pattern is in full effect.

We use Gulp stuff and throw 4 different styles at them. Try the 1" minnows, hellagramite, 2" floating trout worm or the red Angle worms. We tried the Angle worm for first time this year...they KILL.

9. Vertical jig

Vertical jig

IMG_2763.JPG Yep... you were right on! 20 feet right on the bottom!

TK81, chinjabber, Carpe007 and 4 others like this.
  10. koby

koby

I was out yesterday as well. Same deal. 20-22 FOW was the number again. We tried 24-27 for awhile near where we caught them in 20-22 to see if the cruisers were out hovering...only caught a couple and refocused on the 20-22. The way the weather looks, that mid to late august thermocline pattern over deeper waters might not develop. We need a week in the mid to upper 80's and its only going to be near 80. My guess is theyll stay in 20-22 where the deep weedline ends. I will continue to report results.

Vertical jig likes this.
  11. koby

koby

Oh, and we caught 4 nice 12" crappie at dusk using big Emeralds, 5-10 down over 25 adjacent to weedbed that tops out at 6-8 feet coming out of 35 FOW. Just anchored and hanging them over the side of the boat.

jstfish48162 and Vertical jig like this.
  12. Vertical jig

Vertical jig

I am starting to mark more and more fish suspended but active ones are still on the bottom

crossneyes likes this.
  13. koby

koby

im thinking that the thermocline pattern isnt going to be as good this year as it has been last few years. we needed the first two weeks of August to be in the mid to upper 80's to really make the top layer hot. Its been too cool, but then again, last year we SMOKED em in Septemeber when they were suspended. Just gotta keep at it and figure em out.

14. crossneyes

crossneyes

It's been pretty good already in this area!

15. Vertical jig

Vertical jig

IMG_2769.JPG Got these suspended this morning!

koby and crossneyes like this.