close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Late Goose Sightings

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by michiganoutdoorsman, Jan 22, 2018.

1. dankoustas

dankoustas

2. Sampsons_owner

Sampsons_owner

I heard some flying south in the blizzard here at about 1 PM while walking the dog. Steve

3. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Thanks gents. We had a very boring hunt Sunday AM in east Washtenaw. We were set up by 8:30 am and sat until about 1pm, and the only thing we saw the entire time was a pair of canadas that crossed the other end of the large about 100 acre sloppily cut bean field (lots of excess bean still there), and they didn't even turn to look, they were going somewhere. From our hide we had a solid 2+ mile visibility, and didn't see any more birds the entire time. We were running 8 doz (1 doz FBs, 2 doz shells, 5 doz silos) and had a very good hide. Dog was bored. Was fun to just get out and sit and relax, wasn't too cold and had a decent break in the snow so we didn't have to keep brooming off the deeks.

I hit that field (one of about 6 fields in that area I have permission to hunt) with absolutely no scouting intel though, I just didn't have time to do it, so I payed the price. Choosing that field was a simple hail mary, and I went into the hunt knowing that.

4. michiganoutdoorsman

michiganoutdoorsman

Well, our river is dang near froze solid again. I saw a herd of deer walking across it while I was scouting and looking for open water this morning. That’s a first for me.

I have no desire to go out anymore this year, that’s a wrap for me. The 2017-2018 season was good to me, never done so well on the geese. Good luck to the guys that are going out this weekend, finish strong!

5. LoBrass

LoBrass Premium Member

Just came from Erie Michigan and looked at Lake Erie from a couple vantages. Open water areas were noticed at both locales. 250 Canadas, goldeneyes, mergansers, and 3 swans can be seen in the open water areas.

Some are still here.

6. BaldwinHunter

BaldwinHunter

Ive had them swim across the same river your talking about right outside my decoy spread. Also seen them walk across the ice down by Grand Haven.

7. Fill Sinobad23

Fill Sinobad23

Capped off the season with a 7 man!

Attached Files: