Late D-River Jigging Report

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by Slimshady, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Slimshady

Slimshady

Sorry for the late report, but I did a solo jigging trip on the upper D-R on Friday morning. I ended up with 3 keepers and 1 throwback around 14". The 2 biggest ones were between 3-4 lbs. I also caught 5 sheep. US waters near Peche Island. The water was pretty stained in that area, yet still "fishable", especially once the sun got up. I caught my first keeper around 9:30am, and I caught the best fish of the day at 1pm, just before I had to quit. Had I known it was that stained, I would have went out later and planned to fish later. The wind started out ok, but it was howling pretty bad by the time I quit.

Water temp was 56.6. Last year, it started to get really good around 55 degrees, so it should start to get good any day. Of course, most of the spots that were great last year were on the CAN side, so I am hoping that's not an issue this year.

2. captnick

captnick

Great report. Once the rut starts up eyes will run.

Grandriverrat and 6Speed like this.

3. jimbobway

jimbobway

Where did you launch from ? Thanks

4. Hollada

Hollada

Probably St Jeans. That’s usually where he launches.

Slimshady and jimbobway like this.
  5. straub269

straub269

Do you know when they will be closing this year?

6. Slimshady

Slimshady

Yes, St. Jeans. They usually close on Oct. 31st, but with the new pay on-line system, I am hoping that allows them to stay open later. I just sent the guy a text to see what he has in mind for this year, and I asked him to keep it open through Nov. We shall see.

7. straub269

straub269

That would make fishing the upper much, much easier as fall fishing gets good again. Cant wait to do some fall jigging.

8. Slimshady

Slimshady

His name is Jason McGuire and his cell number is 313-848-0612. Anyone who usually fishes past Oct. 31 and would like to use St. Jeans should send him a text asking him to keep it open. If he hears from enough of us, he might realize how much revenue he is missing out on by closing it early.

9. perchjerker

perchjerker

I am a downriver fisherman. Where is St Jeans? I have heard of it but never fished the area. Would like to try! I finally have a smaller river jigging boat now!

10. Hollada

Hollada

I’d make sure to have a bag of sand and salt for that ramp in November. Though even that probably wouldn’t help on that steep MF’er.

J Sibert, gatorman841, auger and 3 others like this.
  11. Slimshady

Slimshady

I won't be going if it is at freezing or below. I generally only go if it is going to be in the upper 30s or above. If it is dead calm, then maybe 35, but that's about my lower limit. I have had my hands frozen too many times so it doesn't take much to lose circulation in them anymore. The rest of my body can handle it no problem, but I can only wear thin gloves and still operate the TM remote, so that is usually the limiting factor. I have thought about taping a hand-warmer right to the remote to help keep my hand from freezing, but haven't tried that yet. That's when a cable steer would come in handy, and one of the reasons I used to have both and switch them out. My next TM will be an Ultrex for that reason.

Jgrew likes this.
  12. Jgrew

Jgrew

Thanks for that info. St. Jeans has been my favorite launch.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

13. Jgrew

Jgrew

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

14. Gone_Hunting

Gone_Hunting

No foot pedal?

15. perchjerker

perchjerker

ok thanks ! I will have to look into this

Jgrew likes this.