L'Anse Creuse Bay 5/16

Discussion in 'Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River' started by starcraft18, May 17, 2018.

1. starcraft18

starcraft18

16 walleye. 10-13 FOW. Water temp was 58 when we started and I saw 60 before the end of the day. Visibility was almost 5’ and green. All crankbaits, trolling speed usually 2.3 - as challenged by Lance Valentine. Nothing caught under 2.0 or over 2.5 mph, #Walleye101Member

2. Slimshady

Slimshady

Any size to them, or were they all 15-16”?

starcraft18 likes this.

3. ZMan6

ZMan6

Nice haul. I have to admit I would never think of pulling cranks that fast for walleye, shows what I know.

How was the size of the fish?

starcraft18 likes this.
  4. taizer

taizer

we pull spoons at 3.5 and get tons of eyes on erie trolling for steel

starcraft18 likes this.
  5. starcraft18

starcraft18

All males with very little/no milk left. Largest was 22", a couple at 21", most at 18-20, and a couple at 16-17". ALL were extremely healthy looking fish with no growths anywhere!! I'm curious - do you guys who troll slower with harnesses IN THE SAME AREA - are you seeing any unhealthy fish.

Opey and 6667supersport like this.
  6. starcraft18

starcraft18

Trolling over 2.0 is NOT NORMAL for me either. Most of my trolling for the past few years has been about 1.5 so 2.3 is a big change. One immediate observation is that my kicker gets to run a bit faster and never missed a beat at that higher speed.

ZMan6 and 6667supersport like this.
  7. littleboatbigfish

littleboatbigfish

Mainly healthy fish when dragging harnesses, I think its mostly healthy fish with the occasional "blemish fish"... lots of smaller fish however and cant seem to keep the rock bass off my line in that bay...

starcraft18 likes this.
  8. starcraft18

starcraft18

Only caught 2 rock bass, 1 Muskie and about half dozen SMB yesterday along with the walleye.

6667supersport likes this.
  9. Slimshady

Slimshady

We used to pull cranks in Erie all the time for walleyes all summer before I primarily switched to pulling spinners. We trolled anywhere from 2.2 - 3+ depending on how they were biting. One July, near the islands, we had been trolling cranks most of the morning w/o much luck so I decided to real mine in to change baits. As I was reeling it in, BAM, got a fish. Turned out to be a 5 lb walleye. We decided to kick our speed up to 3.5-4 mph and we started smacking them left and right. Smallies and walleyes, all nice fish.

In the early Spring, you need to be less than 2 mph, however, as the water warms, you can go faster. At Wheatley, I have found that the optimal speed for walleyes is typically around 2.5 - 2.8 pulling spoons, with Steelies preferring it faster, 2.8 - 3.5. Same should apply for cranks. Your mileage may vary. :)

10. duckduster

duckduster

no unhealthy fish at all. i fished in the same area yesterday and caught a 1 man limit in a hour on harnesses, 1.5mph. then i switched it up and put out 3 flicker minnows and played catch and release for another 6 fish. most fish were over 17" with the biggest at 21"

11. dpd1413

dpd1413

anyone get out there today? couldn't find a walleye to save my life this morning. tried harnesses and cranks speeds from 1.3-2.0, finally put on some flicker shads and got a couple smallies. Have been doing pretty good out there the past week. Wondering if today was an off day or was it me. Going back out there in the morning.

starcraft18 likes this.
  12. Dave636

Dave636

I believe faster=better hooksets. Started pulling spoons last year

starcraft18 likes this.