Land Management for Snowshoe Hares

Discussion in 'Wildlife Habitat' started by J-TRON, Nov 19, 2020.

1. J-TRON

J-TRON

May be purchasing a piece of land in Eastern UP that is super sandy with relatively little tree growth on it. Has some hardwoods (mostly oaks) on a part of it and connects to big cedar swamp. My father has land in the area w/similar soil and has successfully planted scots pine, red pine and some Douglas fir that have grown in and filled it out nicely the last 30 years.

If I purchase it I'd be interested in trying to manage the sandy portion for snowshoe hares if possible (and maybe grouse) and maybe somewhere for deer to shelter. I'm having a difficult time finding anything about land management for hares that would be relevant, it all seems to revolve around cutting aspen stands down. I was thinking some Douglas firs and juniper bushes would provide some winter forage and cover and also be used by grouse and deer. Seems grouse like the juniper bushes that are currently on my father's property. Can't really find any information online for hares or that would be relevant to this area (super sandy, no aspen), curious if anybody here has any advice.

Thanks in advance

don likes this.
  2. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

To be blunt, there is likely a reason you cannot locate info pertaining to hare habitat as it relates to very sandy soils, sand just isn't a productive place to focus on them.

If not too sandy to grow spruce (please don't plant scotch pine, it gets to be uncontrollable) I have seen plantations where there was a window of time when fair numbers of hares would inhabit them but unless dead set on hare habitat I think I'd stick to focusing on grouse and deer with hares as a bonus byproduct. If it is the area I believe it to be, there are some turkeys out that way too, and some oat plots may suck them in during the fall season.

If you are adjacent to the "big cedar swamp" I think it to be, there is a lot of public land in it and near it with plenty of hares to be chased that have never run in front of a beagle or have even heard one! FM

kisherfisher and J-TRON like this.

3. 22 Chuck

22 Chuck

Contact the local forester and get his advice.

There is sometimes some funds available depending on lots of factors-they will know.

J-TRON likes this.
  4. J-TRON

J-TRON

Cool, thanks for the advice this is exactly what I was looking for. You're correct in your assumption of where it is, not trying to be too secretive it's all just up in the air for now still. I've been in the big cedar swamp and have found rabbit sign but haven't seen any yet.

My dad successfully grew spruce on his land and that's what I'm thinking too. He used to plant scotch pine around borders just for cover, but yeah they seem pretty undesirable to me. Latest ice storm was pretty hard on them.

5. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

I get down that way quite often. If you seal the deal give me a shout and after the snow goes I would be happy to do a walkabout with you. FM