Lakes of the north area. Gaylord

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by Chris Farnsworth, May 1, 2018.

1. Chris Farnsworth

Chris Farnsworth

Would appreciate if anyone could tip me off to some good lakes for pike or Muskie fishing near lakes of the north or otsego lake. Also the DNR website indicates rainbow trout in pencil lake. Has anyone ever caught any as of recent?

2. Duke

Duke Habitual outdoorsman

Otsego Lake is pretty near Otsego Lake ;) Sorry...

Otsego has a decent pike population and has been stocked with muskies since 2006. Acres upon acres of cabbage jungle makes it tough to get baits in front of them, so you don't typically set the world on fire here but at least you've got a chance.

And for muskies in northern Michigan, Dumb and Dumber fishing is about the best you can hope for ("More like a million to one"..."So you're telling me there's a chance!!")

sureshot006 and docman90 like this.

3. sureshot006

sureshot006

4. 82shortbox

82shortbox

Big lake in Gaylord has a nice launch and the lake is stocked with fish.

5. piketroller

piketroller

Cabbage jungles are hard to fish, but very rewarding when you figure them out.

6. Duke

Duke Habitual outdoorsman

Love cabbage jungles, but when you say ‘figure them out’ do you mean figure out the best spots within and/or around them? Or something else? Thanks

7. piketroller

piketroller

I mean figure out how to fish them so you don’t get overly frustrated with constantly snagging weeds and actually find what lures and techniques are productive. It takes patience and maybe going halfway through your tackle box depending on the season.

Chris Farnsworth and Duke like this.
  8. Chris Farnsworth

Chris Farnsworth

I’ve been fishing pencil lake for 4 summers now and have only caught bass and a few crappie. I’m trying to target pike but I don’t know where to start or if there’s any in the lake..

9. piketroller

piketroller

Pike 101

Step one - buy the Sportsmans Connection lake book for your target area: https://scmaps.com/maps-by-state/michigan/
    Or buy them all like I have.

Step two - search the book for lakes that have promising data on pike sampling.

Step three - of the lakes with promising pike populations, look for lakes that have large flats in 5-10 foot ranges and 10-20 foot ranges. Lakes with steep drop offs from 5 feet to 30+ feet will be difficult to learn to fish.

Step four - watch this video starting at 17:15: http://www.michiganoutofdoorstv.com/shows.cfm?VideoID=461
    In the spring before the water temperature gets to 70 degrees, do your best to do this in 5-10 feet of water where you find weeds just starting to grow. When the weeds are thin, you can troll multiple rods, but make sure you are close enough to the weeds to be picking them off your lures every couple minutes or so. As the shallow weeds get thicker, drop down to a single rod i hand for this and you'll probably need to move out to the edge of the weedline but stay near the weeds. When the water goes above 65 degrees, you'll loose the bigger (30"+ fish) but the smaller ones will still be there. Once the water goes above 70, you'll start to see fewer fish of any size in shallow water, so move out to the 10-20 foot deep flats with weeds. This could be a deep weedline out in 15 feet of water, or a flat with random small clumps of weeds - cabbage is the best if you can find it. Switch the shallow diving cranbaits for deep divers, like number 9 shad raps, deep husky jerks, deep bomber long A's, etc., but do exactly the same program - stay near the weeds and close enough to get into them every couple minutes.

Step five - reel in fish

Step six - consume fish in your favorite manner

Step seven - repeat

Finding lakes with 5-10 foot deep flats and 10-20 foot deep flats is key for this method. It makes boat control easy as you aren't trying to follow a drop off like the edge of knife. Plus these areas will hold many more fish than a steep break. Make sure to have a mix of natural and bright colored lures to find what the fish want on a given day, plus a few different models as each lure design will have a different action.

Chris Farnsworth likes this.