close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lake property right question

Discussion in 'Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law' started by jimbo, Jul 2, 2017.

1. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

I have spent a lot of years on inland lakes. Never have I seen anyone ticketed for swimming in a lake from a boat or pontoon. I have thrown lures toward docks and rafts from a boat and have been checked for a fishing license. Nothing was mentioned about the legality of shore fishing from a boat. That being said, I never fish a raft or dock that is occupied or has someone near it.

2. toto

toto

Why would think you can't swim in it? It's the bottom lands that are the issue.

3. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

I don't know where you have fished.
    I have had many "unfortunate" interactions with lakefront property owners about casting in front of their property. You see the bass stacked under a dock or boat, you cast up toward the bank, and here comes somebody out from the house to run you off.

And no one is going to be better served by entering into an argument over it, at that moment.
    Best to just move on.

slowpaya likes this.
  4. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I've spent several $100's of dollars repairing the shore station cover and the upholstery in the boat due to people firing hooks into our dock. Paint chips off the side of the boat too. Out on the deck and you hear a "clank" as they bounce one off the boat, then they ram into the dock and walk down it with their pliers waiting to rip the hooks out of whatever they've snagged. One guy took the opportunity to help himself to a few things in the boat as well while he was there, funny as there's only one launch and it's right down the road, so that didn't work out too well for him.

Sometimes my dad puts his 1956 Chris Craft that he's spent 100's of hours restoring, that his dad helped build when he was a foreman at the plant in Holland, by the dock and people think nothing of firing bullet weights at it.

We walk the dock before the kids are allowed on it every time up there, and they are told to not swim next to or under the dock for fear of getting a hook stuck in them. Every year pulling it I cringe for the lure we don't find until it's too late.

5. droptine989

droptine989

see this every year on the local lake. it's like the docks are the only place on the lake the bass are. as nice as living on a lake seems I would hate leaving my boat at the dock.

6. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Because the law says so.

If you are in the center of the lake and not on a property owners shore area you would probably never be questioned.

7. swampbuck

swampbuck

I would really like to see a map of their "pie shaped" pieces of Higgins lake bottom, the island should make that interesting

8. pescadero

pescadero

Benzie Rover likes this.
  9. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin

Screw that! You wanna see me camped out in front of your place all day long fishing and jamming some tunes, come try to tell me it's your property. I'm not into being a douche but I can be really good at it. Like you said it's best to know the law on your specific lake. I try not to get close or make anyone uneasy around their property in and out of the water, but those people that think they own the water drive me insane. Seems ice fishing is always worse than a boat, idk why. I had a crazy dude pull a gun on me once, problem with that was there was no conversation first, I didn't have a chance to say anything until he started screaming with the gun pointed at me. I just moved and called the cops. I waved as he got hauled off.

10. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

It's not at all out of the norm for people, mainly bass fisherpeople, to come back into the marina a LEMP and throw lures around the boats and docks. Boats get hit all the time. Those kinds of fisherpeople have no class what so ever and should be forced to sign over their boats to me.

slowpaya likes this.
  11. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

I would say it all depends on how your wife and her friend look in there bikinis ;)

slowpaya, jiggin is livin and TK81 like this.
  12. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

I am not a bass fisherman. If I catch one it is incidental. I do not cast near someone's boat. There are plenty of empty dock and shore areas where I fish. Fishing is like hunting in that using common sense will avoid a lot of problems.

bobberbill and slowpaya like this.
  13. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

It sounds like you need some hidden cameras to get the MC numbers and then to prosecute folks that do those things. People that destroy and steal property are criminals not sportsmen.

14. slowpaya

slowpaya Premium Member

could always put it on record and r.a.p. em for harrasment

15. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

That would be a No Winner situation.
    Best to move on.
    When I fish it's to amp down, not amp up.

snortwheeze and jiggin is livin like this.