Lake Okeechobee Bass Fishing

Discussion in 'Out of State Fishing' started by bwlodkowski, Oct 15, 2020.

1. bwlodkowski

bwlodkowski

Looking at heading down to Florida in late december/early january. Wondering if anyone can recommend a good charter to book on Okeechobee or just any info about fishing for bass in florida. Hoping to catch a new PB!

2. Chromelander

Chromelander

I'll chime in! I've fished a couple of times for bass around orlando. Once on a charter, once on a buddy's boat. Both times we used shiners under floats. It's very simple fishing and you really don't need a guide unless your not bringing any tackle or of course a boat. I don't think fishing from shore is much of a option. If your thinking of fishing alone a charter is pretty pricey for one person at least from my perspective. Two people is not bad for the price. Roland Martin Marina is the most popular on okeechobee I guess but others are just as good I'm sure. You can also rent boats and do a DIY too. Okeechobee is a huge lake so going with a guide to put you on fish is probably the way to go for the first time, plus the experience of fishing with a local guide is just more enjoyable. If you go I would do a morning charter rather than afternoon, before the sun gets up to high. Always good to call ahead and talk to a few guides be for you book. It's fun! Good luck.

on a call and OH-YEAH!!! like this.

3. Chromelander

Chromelander

You can also go to Fishing Booker.com too. Lots of guides to choose from.

4. 6thMichCav

6thMichCav

I’ve fished with Chuck Pippin in Orlando four times. He is a licensed guide and a tour fisherman. No surprises and he puts you on fish. He’s on YouTube—what you see is what you get. If you get the option to use shiners, you will hook up with 50% more fish.

6Speed likes this.
  5. toto

toto

I'll go along with Chromelander here. The only thing about Lake O is the fact that it can be tricky in a boat. Lots of shallow rocky structure that can do some serious damage. I believe there are several guides that work out of Roland Martin Marina, but the again Lake O is a big lake and you may not be on that end of the lake. I would go to the fishingbooker site as well and at least get an idea of where to look for a good guide.

6. stickman1978

stickman1978

Be prepared to pay for bait. Shiners are about 2 bucks a piece. But your odds do increase. The O is a big lake would definitely do a guide.

7. stickman1978

stickman1978

I think Harris Chain is closer to Orlando. 1228191801.jpg

6thMichCav likes this.
  8. kotimaki

kotimaki

I have fished all over that state since the 90s. If I could pick one lake to fish in the entire state , it would be Stickmarsh/Farm 13 near fellsmere. Second choice would be Rodman reservoir near Palatka. The big o is overrated and overwhelming if youre going diy. PM if you want details.

9. stickman1978

stickman1978

Do them two places get hit hard with tournaments like the O and Harris?

10. kotimaki

kotimaki

Rodman has a few big tourneys. It is catch and release on drawdown years and fair game all others. Probably the most diverse lake in the state.
    Sm/f13 is catch and release always. cant put a fish in the well...no tourneys. Both are impoundments , navigate with caution.

stickman1978 likes this.
  11. Stillkickin

Stillkickin

https://www.jasonyoungfishing.com/

My son and I fished the Stickmarsh with Jason, had a great trip. He is very well versed in Lake O. I would give him a shout and chat.