Lake Michigamme

Discussion in 'Warm Water Fishing Inland UP Lakes' started by Drake, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Drake

Drake

I hope to hear information about this lake as my wife and I are spending
    2 weeks at the state park , Good or bad .
    Rarely do I hear about the lake !
    We will be there July 1 - 14 . Trying for mainly walleye and panfish !
    Any help for be Great !
    Thanks , Dave .

itchn2fish likes this.
  2. mjn

mjn

I like to troll around the islands in the middle of the lake with shad raps you can get nice crappie and smaller walleyes.

For Walleye I like to find one of the many rocks and small islands away from shore and fish the slopes and nearby deeper(12-25)ft flats with walleye suckers.

Michigamme is pretty hit and miss but if yo put the time in you will find dinner, maybe not a limit.

In July you may want to bottom bounce or deep jig some of the humps in deeper water. I haven't had a ton of luck doing that, but others have said they do well.

Beautiful dark walleye.

3. Drake

Drake

Thanks for the Help !!
    I don't need a limit of walleye but a nice walleye or fish dinner
    maybe fish and eggs for breakfast would make the trip.

4. wpmisport

wpmisport

Beautiful lake even if you do not catch fish. The camp ground was very nice when I stayed there. May take some time to learn the good areas for fishing. You will enjoy it.

5. Spw2350

Spw2350

My brother & I fished it for the first time two years ago for the opener..not much going on still to cold but we did just miss a HUGE unseen boulder about two feet under the water line in the middle of the lake near middle/southend of lake be careful not marked. Caught a couple nice crappie and one barely legal pike. Will go back again just too many others to explore. Very pretty lake reminded us of some of the fly in lakes we've been too in ontario.

6. itchn2fish

itchn2fish

Yes, for sure! & if you are seeking Brook Trout, head far up The Pesheekee (sp?) Grade & you will find them! I love & miss this area tremendously..........best of luck to you & to everyone...

Whitetail_hunter, Drake and zzcop302 like this.
  7. Whitetail_hunter

Whitetail_hunter

The past few years I've spent a week at the state park but have only fished michigamme about 3 days, beautiful lake but the fishing can be tough. I've had most luck around the islands with a mixed catch of walleye, pike and crappie. If you have a boat you can easily trailer I definitely would try out some of the other lakes in the area squaw, greenwood resivour and whatever else you spot on the map. Also we like to try and hit a few of the way back in the woods trout lakes relatively easy to bring back a meal in my experience. We generally go beginning/middle of June.

Drake, itchn2fish and zzcop302 like this.
  8. zzcop302

zzcop302

Squaw is a beautiful lake.
    I’ve only got to fish it once last summer but definitely going back this year as much as possible.

Drake and itchn2fish like this.
  9. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Leaches with a slip bobber about an hour before dark. You will get alot of walleye. Plenty of bug dope with a head net is a must.

Forest Meister, Drake, 5eyes and 2 others like this.
  10. Whitetail_hunter

Whitetail_hunter

Yea it is a very nice lake, generally do good on warm water species, I have tried to catch the lake trout that are supposed to be in there without any luck. I bet I know were to find them right at ice out but I'm not in the area at that point in time.

According to one of my michigan fishing guides michigamme has burbot, that has me interested. I may give it a try this year.

Drake, itchn2fish and zzcop302 like this.
  11. Drake

Drake

We are expecting the bug's ....
    Most likely need another case of bug Dope ....

Sent from my Pixel using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

stickbow shooter likes this.
  12. Steel Cranium

Steel Cranium

I have the same results with Squaw. A buddy's cabin is real close to Squaw so we fish it every year, May and October, for the past 12 years. Have fished it early, and late in the season, after dark, middle of day, deep and shallow, rock piles and points. A few big pike, some nice 20"+ smallies and largemouth. Have never caught a trout from there, even though 7k to 10k are stocked every spring. I would love to catch a trout from there to prove that some are there for the catching. Same results in Lake Angeline, minus the bass.

zzcop302 likes this.
  13. mjn

mjn

Only fishes Squaw once. Saw a guy flyfishing for trout, we didn't see him catch one. We got a nice mess of big bluegills and did well on Sm and Lg mouth bass mixed in the same areas.

zzcop302 likes this.
  14. zzcop302

zzcop302

Yes, seems to be some nice bluegills and perch mixed in.
    Hoping to fish it more this year and to possibly camp there.
    Water clarity there is remarkable and a lot of nice rock and weed bed cover.
    Good luck if you make it back this year.
    Do you live in the UP ?

15. mjn

mjn

I do not live in the UP. Looking for a cabin though.

Squaw is a nice looking lake. Anyone know whats up with that bay on the north end that is covered in a few feet of flaky stuff. I never remember seeing that in any other lakes. Bass didn't seem to mind it. It was kind of creepy though.

I like to go on multiple lake trips, just keep bouncing around until I find fish. Lots of great lakes in the UP and its way less crowded then WI and MN.