Lake Leelanau Info.

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by Captain Walleye, May 17, 2018.

1. Captain Walleye

Captain Walleye

Will be headed to Lake Leelanau first part of June and staying at Leelanau Pines campground on south end. primarily fishin for Walleyes, Smallies, and Pike. I would appreciate any tips or info. anyone would care to give on areas to fish,depths, techniques, etc. Never fished there before. Its a BIg lake and then there is North Leelanau at boot. Thanks

2. Quack Addict

Quack Addict

Fished out there a few years ago on a friend's boat. We went to a waypoint he had done well at previously and proceeded to hammer some really nice perch.

I marked the spot, exactly, in my head. It is located perfectly in line between 2 cottages on opposite sides of the lake. The trouble is, I forgot what 2 cottages.

Sorry - probably not much help

3. walleyerick

walleyerick

Captain, I am a manager at that campground in the summer, I can give you lots of info on the lake at that time of year. Shoot me a PM with your number and ill give you a call.

4. WallyWorld

WallyWorld

For started I'll say Leelanau Pines is a very nice and peaceful campground on a beautiful lake and area. Ealry June can be a tough bite if the mayfly hatch is in full effect. Straight across from the campground is a boat house, if I remember right we boated around 35 eyes last year there trolling crawler harness from the boat house down to the the southeast bay in 10-15 fow. Not sure how many rods you run but put half of them on bottom bouncers and keep the other half suspended with either splitshot or 1/8 oz inlines. This area is basically a sandy flat. Other good areas to troll are along the weed flats, the biggest weed flat is on the far south end, the weedline should be around 13 fow from the west side of the lake all the way to the east. Another good weed flat is about 2 miles up the east side from the boat house. If you are looking to jig you can drift jig these same flats, there are many points on the lake move from one to the next until you find fish but typically the best points for jigging are on the north end of the south lake. For jigging try regular roundball jigs with minnows or crawlers as well as jigging raps and shiver minnows.

goodasgold likes this.
  5. WallyWorld

WallyWorld

Copper back blades on the crawler harnesses were far more productive than any others I used last year. Also should've noted this was in 5 days of fishing in early June rear end of mayfly hatch.