close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lake Huron Atlantic fishery

Discussion in 'North - North East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by ausable_steelhead, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Bighunther

Bighunther

Is the ausauble fishable by boat or frozen over?

2. Fishndude

Fishndude

Give Lynn a call at the River Road Store. The lower river freezes first, and the temp on the water coming through the dam shows around 33* still. If the lower river is frozen, you might be able to get in at Rea Rd, or Whirlpool, and fish the upper river. My Son was at our cabin (by Hale) last weekend, and said there was only about 4" of snow on the ground, so launches should be manageable.

Bighunther likes this.

3. Ausable_Drifter

Ausable_Drifter

Lower section is frozen. Probably could get in at foote or whirlpool with some work, dirt.... today and tomorrows temp won’t help B12B6116-D07A-4376-962D-D99972E0CF05.jpeg the river store is closed till late feb/March this year. This picture is from last week above River road

4. Fishndude

Fishndude

I just read that the Great Lakes are 22% frozen over right now, up from 9% last week, which was up from <5% the week before. These extremely cold temps are freezing the lakes, and rivers quickly. I have seen the Ausable completely frozen below Foote dam, except for the first 100 yards or so right below the coffer. There wasn't anyone fishing it when it was that frozen, but I kept dreaming about all the un-molested fish in the holes downstream.

5. nighttime

nighttime

Us junkies are all dreaming!! Few years back when this happened my home stream was locked almost 6 weeks!! A lot of missed fishing that year, usually those are my best 6 weeks. Not sure about up state but I see a glimmer of hope coming!!!

6. herb09

herb09

You can launch at Rea with a little work but you wouldn't be able to float to whirlpool.

7. MichiganStreamside

MichiganStreamside

The Au Sable is in great shape for fishing. Water is bit low but sure that will come back this week. Not much shelf ice or snow and that makes it easy to get around by boat or on foot. Good fishing yesterday and hooked a few of them!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. piscatorial warrior

piscatorial warrior Premium Member

Beautiful fish and scenery. Great pics!