Lake Huron Atlantic fishery

Discussion in 'North - North East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by ausable_steelhead, Dec 13, 2017.

1. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Well, what are our thoughts/opinions so far, in year 3?

Myself, after a bit of a rocky start, the AS has turned out to be viable it appears. The other plants have been doing well, and IMO, this "experiment" is proving to be a success.

Once the Big lake guys get a better handle and understanding of them, I think we'll have something special in ol' Huron.

A nice fishery of steelhead, Atlantic salmon, and lake trout to go along with a great walleye and improving perch bite should make for an attractive fishery going forward. I'm happy and excited!

2. MichiganStreamside

MichiganStreamside

Its a game changer for the lower Au Sable in the Fall - complete success!

3. gotskunked

gotskunked

I saw it previously mentioned that when not in spawning mode they will chase streamers. If one were using spinning tackle what would you recommend spinners, spoons? Also wondering how long they will stay in the river, how far into winter? Last question, has a pier fishery for them materialized spring or fall in Oscoda? Thank you. On a side note I hit the upper river over the weekend and caught about a dozen skipper steelies, but no big boys.

MapleRiverSalmon likes this.
  4. mfs686

mfs686

It does look promising. I've caught them in The St. Mary's Rapids and it would save me about 3 hours of drive time if I could catch them while visiting my Mother. Like everything else though, when it comes to Lake Huron, it changes constantly. The ecosystem of that lake is forever changing and hopefully we can roll with it.

5. MapleRiverSalmon

MapleRiverSalmon

Complete success. They really like to bite too which is a bonus! Awesome addition to the fall steel! Now if we could get some brown plants back I don't think I could ask for more! Walleye Atlantic, steelhead, burbot, whitefish fishery with the odd coho/king has been more than enough to satisfy me tho!

andyotto likes this.
  6. Ausable_Drifter

Ausable_Drifter

Great addition and a really fun fall. Caught fish on spinners, spoons, streamers, Center pin (beads) and even bottom bouncing. So really most of the traditional methods worked, just with a little tweaking.

Attached Files:

7. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Beautiful! If you guys want to post your pics from the fall, please do. This thread is a bit of a documentation of sorts. Maybe we can guide the DNR to it and verify the viability of the plants.

Ive missed the runs each of the last two years myself, but its helpful and hopeful when others are having success.

Ausable_Drifter and mfs686 like this.
  8. mfs686

mfs686

That's the main thing, letting the DNR know. Instead of constantly complaining about them it would be great if people would give them the data they request.

9. Ausable_Drifter

Ausable_Drifter

I report all my fish to Tim via email and usually avoid the message boards. But for the greater good! All he needs is a picture ( [email protected]) Super easy and he appreciates the reports. A couple more

Attached Files:

10. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen Premium Member

Any word on a beginning of natural reproduction?

That would be pretty intriguing too.

11. TheBootDryer

TheBootDryer

I've caught Atlantic's almost every time I've been on the river this fall....

Attached Files:

12. TheBootDryer

TheBootDryer

I find them to be a,great addition to my bag, they seem to have really taken to the ausable.

buck11pt24 and MapleRiverSalmon like this.
  13. MapleRiverSalmon

MapleRiverSalmon

When I text you I said photo bomb, like this! IMG_0626.JPG IMG_0627.JPG IMG_0628.JPG IMG_0631.JPG IMG_0632.JPG

14. andyotto

andyotto

Man this is great. I was starting to lose a little faith that they would take. It looks like maybe the DNR being a little more selective when they plant might pay off. Good to see the little ones too.

TheBootDryer likes this.
  15. TheBootDryer

TheBootDryer