Lake Gogebic

Discussion in 'Icefishing UP inland lakes and big lake bays' started by Worm Dunker, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Worm Dunker

Worm Dunker

I have never been there but catching big perch is on my bucket list. Any suggestion? I only have a RZR and I've heard snow depth can be a problem.

2. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

There used to be a member on M-S that had a resort on Gogebic. I think he went by "bow hunter brandon". It has bee a long time since I have seen him on M-S

3. Buddwiser

Buddwiser

He doesn't post here anymore and I saw he had the resort up for sale a few years ago. Too bad he has left the site as he is a real nice guy and probably would have a lot of info on the lake. I stayed at his place up there in the early 2000's when he used to host a duck camp.

multibeard and Splitshot like this.
  4. Worm Dunker

Worm Dunker

I had a buddy that I use to dog trial with that moved to the U.P. I thought he open a hotel on Gogebic but found yesterday he opened in Marquette instead. I watched a bunch of you tube videos so I have a rough idea where to go and what to use. Thanks for the help guys.

5. Opey

Opey

I was there a few years ago and struck out. But the people who paid for a guide did very well on tip ups. Just look for the permanent shanties on the north end of the lake in the bay to the east.
    They caught walleye but the perch are supposed to be mixed in with the eyes.

6. msfcarp

msfcarp

We fished the south end of the lake and caught walleyes on the deep mud flats but struck out on the jumbos as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

I’ve been there twice (4-5 days each time) and it was real tough both times.

We were able to find some small walleyes both trips. 13-15” which are legal. Caught one 19”.

The first trip the slush was so bad anything short of a long track snow mobile wouldn’t work. We had a quad and rented a sled and still got stuck.

Two years ago the there was parts of the lake you could get to with a RZ but the fishing stunk. Never caught a single fish during the day. Few walleye on tip ups at night.

Now the guy I go with has caught Jumbos a few times but it few and far between.

8. greense1

greense1

My grandparents had a place on the lake for a long time. We always did very good for Jumbos in the bay on the west side of the lake between the state park and Bingham creek. We never did ice fish though so take that for what it's worth.

9. duckbuster0123

duckbuster0123

Nothing about the lake lately??? Is it not hot??

10. wpmisport

wpmisport

I tried it a long time ago and had a big walleye on the first time out but did not do well for the rest of the week. The weather when I went was not the best, a lot of wind. Camped at the state park. Nice place to visit. I was on the lake when the 9/11 disaster occurred, will never forget being there at that time.