Lake Charlevoix

Discussion in 'Icefishing LP inland lakes and rivers' started by Fish'n Finatik, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Fish'n Finatik

Fish'n Finatik

Heading up to Boyne with the wife in January to stay at a resort for some pkg we purchased through Bass Pro. Not much into shopping or skiing so I was going to lug the fishing gear up there and try lake charlevoix. Anyone have and information on this lake? Not looking for your “spots”, just looking for a point of access where I can park and a round about distance I can expect to walk. I have heard good things about this lake and I am eager to try it out.
    Thanks in advance. PM’s welcome.

2. Jim_MI

Jim_MI

When in January? Lk CVX is big and deep and there is often open water in the main body if the lake until mid-Jan or so. South arm should be fine by then and can produce some perch (mostly dinks), pike and walleye. Lots of public access areas around. Ironton can produce perch, pike, walleye and Cisco but has a good current and areas may not be safe early in Jan. Later in Jan there is decent perch off Hemingway Point. If you can walk a LONG ways out beyond that, guys often setup in deep water near the middle of the main arm for whitefish or Lakers. Lots of opportunities for perch and walleye between the state park and Boyne City. It's a big tough lake to fish though and I have totally struck out on many occasions. Fortunately, there are lots of other lakes nearby that consistently produce. See http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/index.php?threads/581813/
    Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

skagitmaster likes this.

3. Bigdiddy

Bigdiddy

As of right now the north arm is wide open the south arm has ice in East Jordan but I don’t know how thick. Deer Lake is at the back side of the Boyne property it’s a nice spring fed Lake you can get into some nice perch and can keep 5 pike any size. There’s also Thumb Lake going towards Vanderbilt that has “a lot” of perch and splake.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

PunyTrout and skagitmaster like this.
  4. Fish'n Finatik

Fish'n Finatik

Thanks for the information. I am not going up until the 25th and staying until the 28th. With the weather outlook for the next ten days, hopefully everything will be locked up real good by then. Maybe Ill be able to hit a couple different lakes. Fortunately for me, my wife loves to ice fish!! This was one of my pre-requisites when I was in the dating game. ;)

Howard Baumann likes this.
  5. RichP

RichP

In late January usually you'll find a group of folks congregated near the Ironton ferry location. Really not much of a walk at all if you wish to try that spot.

garyrodbender and Fish'n Finatik like this.
  6. Jim_MI

Jim_MI

I drove by there this afternoon and it is still mostly open water from the ferry into the main lake. The Narrows is frozen over and has snow on top, but certainly not safe yet. I wouldn't count on fishing Ironton for a while yet.

7. RichP

RichP

Sure, but he's not talking about now, he's talking about going up a month of now, and it'll likely be fine then.

8. Jim_MI

Jim_MI

Agreed. I was just posting an observation for the benefit of others who may be travelling to the area over the Christmas holidays.

9. Jim_MI

Jim_MI

I scouted a few spots on Lk CVX today. All the recent snow seems to have hurt a lot! South Arm near EJ tourist park had about 4" of snow on top 6" of slush. FWIW, the ice underneath seemed fairly strong, requiring 6-10 spud whacks to puncture. There were tracks from a day or two ago about 100 yards offshore. But I stayed within 20 ft of shore and did not drill any holes, since it was way too slushy and wet to make fishing there any fun today. I drove by Washington St where there was very little snow, suggesting that it has only recently locked up (since it snowed most of the day yesterday). Ironton also looked recently locked up. I did not risk going out to check ice thickness there either.

JohnP123 likes this.
  10. RichP

RichP

As of a couple days ago the Boyne end is completely locked up. Can't imagine it's safe yet, but seems to be tracking a bit ahead of most years.

11. JohnP123

JohnP123

How’d the ice look today? Thinking of heading out tomorrow afternoon.

12. Jim_MI

Jim_MI

I checked a few areas yesterday and ended up fishing another nearby lake. Didn't look safe at Washington St (never stepped offshore) , didn't feel safe at Ironton (4-5 spud whacks) and about the same at EJ. But last night was very cold again and slush on some of these lakes had frozen into layers by today. At least the nearby lake I fished today was much better than yesterday.

JohnP123 likes this.
  13. Jim_MI

Jim_MI

I scouted some areas this afternoon, curious about the effects of the recent heat wave and yesterdays rain. At most places I looked, the snow was gone. In some places, the deep slush had also melted and re-frozen.
    Lk CVX: Washington St looked good to go. Ironton initially looked good, but there were several wide & long cracks that had only partly frozen over. So ice would abruptly go from 4+" to < 1/2" with only subtle differences in the surface appearance. EJ at Tourist Park had 2 guys out in perms, maybe 200 yards out. I checked the ice about 50 yards offshore and found 3-4" of newly frozen slush on top a 3" layer of water, then 3+" of decent ice. It is fine for walking now but when that trapped water layer finally freezes (2-3 days?) we should be in great shape.
    St Clair Lk: Skim ice around the edges overlies 6" of slush, then 3-4 spud-whacks of ice. 20 yards out things are a lot more solid feeling. 1 hub out there.
    Lk Ellsworth: I only checked the shoreline area near the DNR launch in town. Still some snow on top slush, very weak ice (1 spud whack).
    I'll be out on one of these areas in 2 days.

rugbym10sflyu and JohnP123 like this.
  14. JohnP123

JohnP123

About 8” of good blue ice pretty much everywhere I checked. Just a skiff of snow on it.

Stand By and Jim_MI like this.
  15. Schnitzel

Schnitzel

Thinking of heading out from Ironton or EJ in the near future for first time this season. Ice still in good shape in these locations? How goes the fishing? Thanks in advance.