Lake Bellaire

Discussion in 'Warm Water Fishing Inland LP Lakes' started by Bogd19, May 17, 2018 at 11:46 AM.

1. Bogd19

Bogd19

Any specific locations where you can shore fish on Lake Bellaire?
    I hear Torch Lake is to difficult to fish from the shore

2. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

None I can think of. Big sanbars extending way out at all the access points I know. I have had fun fishing the mill pond right in Bellaire and the river below the dam. Nothing huge, but fun on light tackle.

zig likes this.

3. Bogd19

Bogd19

WHEre is the Mill pond located?

4. ESOX

Howard Baumann likes this.
  5. ESOX

Back when I was a kid and teen in the 60's and 70's there was an old brick powerhouse just a short cast east of the M88 bridge. Back then we would catch everything from Brook Trout and walleye to pike and smallies below that dam. The river all the way down to L Bellaire was excellent pike and smallie fishing. There were walleye, browns, smallies and pike in the mill pond, which was deep enough to jump off the RR trestle into the pond. The powerhouse was removed in the early 80's. Now without the powerhouse surging the mill pond has gotten considerably filled in with silt, and most of the holes and deep runs in the river below Cayuga street are silted in with no power generation surges to scrub the silt out. Kind of weird after all you hear about how bad powerhouse dams are to realize what great fishing was ruined with powerhouse removal.

Last edited: May 19, 2018 at 4:20 PM
    riverbob likes this.
  6. kzoofisher

kzoofisher

Solution to that is to take out the mill pond.

7. ESOX

The dam that creates the mill pond is what keeps the upper Chain O'Lakes at a steady level,

8. kzoofisher

kzoofisher

OK, so you have a dam and it silts up behind it. No surprise. Creating artificial floods on a daily basis isn't much of a solution. I know there are a lot of lakes that are kept artificially high with dams, many more where the lakeside owners just put up with variations in levels. The dams do prevent the passage of a lot of fish. I guess so long as the locals pay for the upkeep and don't reach in my pocket it's not too bad. Some of those lakes would be a shadow of what they are now without the dams and tourism/property values/tax base adversely affected. Houghton Lake leaps to mind and I think the shoreline of Higgins would move out a long way, too. Maybe Bellaire etc. would be the same.

9. ESOX

Imagine the real estate on Elk and Torch lakes with no dam in Elk Rapids...... Antrim County would have to remake their budget. LOL

kingfisher 11 likes this.
  10. cairnhwy

cairnhwy

I have always wondered what Torch and Elk looked like before the dam at Elk Rapids. I even tried to find old photos or spoken word to learn about it. I also thought they adjusted the levels to protect shoreline or played with the level to maximize profit. But I spoke to the Antrim county drain commissioner a few years back and he said they don't change the dam height and even if they lower it , Elk would go down but Torch is limited by Torch River and it is too shallow to let more water out of Torch. .... I think the shoreline would have been about 100 yards farther out with a gentle slope filled with vegetation behind it. Skegamog would be a swamp.

11. ESOX

Clam lake would be a river..........The east end of Skegemog would certainly become vegetated.