Ladies what's a good waterfowl shotgun for you

Discussion in 'Michigan Women in the Out-Of-Doors' started by timj, Jul 26, 2016.

1. timj

timj

Hello,

My girlfriend wants to get into hunting with me, but I have no idea where to start in finding a gun that fits her.

She's 5'5" and is looking for a gun that fits her and she can shoot comfortably.
    We've been to the gun range a few times with a couple of my guns.
    My 12 gauge Remington 870 pump was too heavy for her to hold up and swing.
    She than tried shooting an old 20 ga. Ithaca feather-light model 37. However that gun doesn't accept screw chokes, is awkward for her to hold and she struggles with consistency due to the awkwardness.
    Besides waterfowl hunting, we would like to use it on the trap and sporting clay range.
    She knows that she wants a 12Ga due to it being more versatile both in the field and on the sporting clay range with the further targets.

I did take her to bass pro so that she could try holding and swinging several guns. And she seemed to feel more comfortable with the benelli super nova.
    It seemed to be lighter and balanced better for her.

But do any of you have any other suggestions, so that she can look at those also.
    Or if you've shot the benelli and like or disliked it.

Fabner1 likes this.
  2. Ash

Ash

I have been using a remington 870 wingmaster 20ga for many years but looking to upgrade to a 12ga soon. Have had no issues with the 870 just looking for something in camo next. I am looking at the winchester sx3 and the browning A5 in mossy oak shadow grass, cant decide.

I use a browning gold for turkey.

3. timj

timj

Thanks Ash,

I'll have her take a look at that one also.
    Her birthday is next week, so I'll be looking for a gun for my new hunting partner then :)
    The weight and balance seems to be the issue for her. She wants a 12 Ga. for waterfowl hunting just because of the same advantages that us guys like.

So far the Bennelli super nova seems to fit her best. I believe it wieghs almost the same as my Remington 870. However with it being synsetic it seems lighter and balances better for her when she brings it up.

4. Ash

Ash

I ended up getting the winchester sx3 12ga. I am very happy with it so far. Its just a tad over 7lbs and works great. Perfect for waterfowl so far. Did you end up finding one she liked?

5. timj

timj

Yes, She went with the bennelli super nova.
    It balanced really good for her. The only issue is that she's right handed but left eye dominant. She tried and tried to shoot lefty handed, however she says that, that is too uncomfortable for her, so she just rolls her face over the stock so that her check is laying on top of it while she uses her left eye.
    That looks uncomfortable for me, but she does really well on the trap range.
    She hasn't hit any ducks or geese it, but she will :)

We live in Shelby township, and we've been talking about her joining the women's shooting league that they have at the Detroit Sportsman congress just down the road from us.
    She really likes to shoot :) :) :