close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lab Breeders

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by Tomfive5, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Tomfive5

Tomfive5

I am looking at getting a lab to upland hunt with, and I would like a dog that comes from a strong line of upland dogs. Any breeder suggestions?

2. goblue20

goblue20

If you do a search on here there will be lots of threads pop up about breeders that should give you an idea. There's definitely a few good breeders in MI depending on what you're looking for in a dog. That'll help you narrow things down. Good luck with your search.

3. gaustin

gaustin

Hunter Rose Kennels...Just had a litter not sure if they are all spoken for???

Lamarsh likes this.
  4. birdhntr

birdhntr

Wingward labs. Moulton labs.Canada great upland dogs .I think they are still in business you can Google them.great endurance and quartering mine is eight and ran over three hours Saturday never stopped.Trailed a rooster on public access for almost a half mile I hit the bird and it flew back a half mile .took the dog back he found and flushed it again and we got him.this bird did not want to fly

Attached Files:

5. Tomfive5

Tomfive5

Thank you for the info everyone. I have hunted behind my GSP for the last 12 years and if I can get a lab that can cover half the ground he did (He probably covered too much ground!)I will be quite happy. Another question I have is how do I tell which dog is the "pick" of the litter?, or even how one puppy is better than the other?

6. Wolf_Dancer34

Wolf_Dancer34

7. birdhntr

birdhntr

I like to watch the litter play for a while and when it comes to labs I also like watch for the ones that pay more attention to the the people around and focus less on their litter mates.I like the ones that make eye contact with me and tends to follow me more than the litter mates.I also like to see how the pup I'm interested in reacts to a frozen pigeon to see his gameness.. I think labs are the best upland dogs they have superior noses and handle the best.the only downside is their heat tolerance when I get tired and I can tell he's picking up on a light scent I'll tell him to get the bird and he will go and find and flush it sometimes I get lucky and the grouse comes my way .one time last year I sent him up a steep ridge and he flushed a group and I bagged two he was probably a 100 yds or more away as I watched him the whole time from the road.labs rule I will always have one they are my go to dog when my pointers can't pin down a running rooster I can go back to the truck let him out,go back and get the bird up every time.two litters from rivers wild sounds like a great opportunity.

Wolf_Dancer34 and Big Frank 25 like this.
  8. N M Mechanical

N M Mechanical Premium Member

Pick the breeding and then it really does not matter the order

Steelheadfred, dauber and gaustin like this.
  9. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Do you want a lab that points or flushes? That is the fork in the road you have to figure out first before looking at lab breeders. There are quite a few excellent breeders for both in Michigan.

If you go the pointing route, you should learn to read a pedigree in terms of proof of pointing lab lines OR if those titles aren't present you need to be confident that the breeder has a program in place to recognize and replicate the pointing instinct regardless of titles with the APLA. Hunters Rose Kennels is a great place to start for pointing labs. There are also several other pointing lab breeders in Michigan, and many more very good breeders throughout the midwest region in reasonable driving distance.

For all around excellent field labs in Michigan check out Kingseed or Michigander Retrievers, however, there are many more excellent breeders, I am just naming a few I am personally familiar with and know they are great people who produce great dogs.

If time is not of the essence, you might consider paying a visit to a hunt test that is nearby this summer. At those events you will have a chance to meet owners, trainers and breeders, see many dogs perform, and get a feel for what you may want.

10. JBooth

JBooth

see if Steelheadfred is breeding any of his dogs. Top-rate right there.

MandJ likes this.
  11. Steelheadfred

Steelheadfred

yeah this, and if you want a grouse dog, be real honest about a Pointing Labs abilities on Ruffed Grouse.

As for if we are breeding any dogs, we are studding Jones on Three X Repeat breeding, and on a repeat breeding. But I'm fairly confident all those dogs are spoken for and a long waiting list. I considered having a litter this spring, those dogs are all spoken for, but at this time I've informed those commitments that it is not in the cards for my schedule to give it the attention it truly deserves.

12. JBooth

JBooth

any more info on these?

13. N M Mechanical

N M Mechanical Premium Member

I have been seeing dead grouse with a pointing lab from my hunting partner it is about the guy driving the truck more then the dog

14. Tomfive5

Tomfive5

Again thanks for the replies. I am new to this forum (have never really used any forum page before) and I can already see I will be checking out stuff here frequently.

I do Grouse hunt, but I am much more serious about Pheasant hunting. My GSP was a mediocre grouse hunter but a excellent pheasant dog so I am already used to that.

I would like to get a pointing lab but I have never seen one in action. I am hoping to hunt behind one for the first time the week after Christmas to get a good feel of how they work.

We had field labs growing up and they were great dogs, however they didn't cover all that much ground. I understand that by no means does that mean they were inferior dogs, but where I hunt I need a dog who can cover a lot of ground. I don't know if this is true or not but I was told Pointing labs have more of a "natural" instinct to blood trail, can anyone confirm this?? My GSP could do it quite well and we never worked with him on it, but it proved to be a very valuable skill.

Just FYI I have praised GSP's multiple times now, but my wife wants a lab, so we are getting a lab haha