L.F.T.S. 10/16

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by crossneyes, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Waif

Waif

Sounds exciting to me!
    No sense being disappointed in getting a deer agitated.
    It was in the best interest of her survival to be alarmed. If you were a big cat or a coyote putting the sneak on her , (and you were as far as she was concerned) , her reaction of telegraphing alarm warned both you and other prey that her Spidey senses were tingling.
    You being rattled by prey detecting trouble is just what helps prey avoid your assault. Or did in this case.
    An experienced cat would pounce/charge if in range, if not in range what would it do? (Maybe twitch it's tail after freezing initially , while cussing; and start trying to detect the next opportunity).
    And a young cat , or cat of any age (let's call him Mac..) could react in multiple ways. But freezing is not unlikely.
    Developments could change in Macs favor. Or as with many predator prey encounters , simply equate to , "try again". Pursuing alerted prey without the element of surprise or a team effort with other predators could likely result in a loss of energy without success. Countering survival of the predator.

Even if you (or anyone) didn't freeze in reaction and decided to take a shot instead , a cranked up deer is a tough archery target. And when (if) hit is going to react differently than a calm pre-shot one.

You had a deer get wise to your presence. It will happen again.
    And you'll get aware of them first again.
    Eventually you'll get a poke at a desired target that is not aware of your presence.
    Till then , mind your scent/vapor trail and do like me and envision a tired old hard of hearing bleary eyed dry nosed buck tottering into range. L.o.l..

Namrock, Macs13 and Gone Coastal like this.
  2. Gone Coastal

Gone Coastal

Good job getting on the deer and holding off. I’m getting better at watching and learning deer behave and waiting for the right one or two After 55 years of hunting it’s still a great thrill.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020

3. mbrewer

mbrewer

Thanks. I had the deer I did want, a stocky 8 pointer, in range this morning and didn't shoot him either. It was the first few minutes of shooting light and my old eyes couldn't convince me it was safe to shoot.

I had deer around me all morning, the same bucks as yesterday and the new 8, plus, glory hallelujah...3 Does and 2 fawns.

Wife had a doctor's appointment that I needed to drive her to or I would have stayed all day. I picked up some camera cards on the way out and that 10 pt. was on 3 of them, scraping and chasing Does. He might be a 2 yo, if he is he's gonna be something special if he can make it another year or two.

4. Gone Coastal

Gone Coastal

sounds like you are really enjoying the hunting. Whitetails are beautiful animals to watch and taste great to

5. Former grunt

Former grunt

Little late posting, deer were moving like crazy Friday morning, had my buddies son with me trying to get him a doe. Evening was slower, flock of turkeys and 3 different deer at last shooting light.

Gone Coastal likes this.