L.F.T.S. 10/16

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by crossneyes, Oct 16, 2020.

1. BucksandDucks

BucksandDucks

Saw lots of deer tonight including one really nice one. Not close enough for him though

2. retired dundo

retired dundo

Great picture

3. GoBluehunter

GoBluehunter

Saw 5 tonight and one just as light was fading looked to be a buck but it never stepped into an opening to give me a good look.

4. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

Thats a good deer for Robinsontuky

Wandering arrows and fishgod like this.
  5. fishgod

fishgod

Yup, what he said. I saw nadda again tonight. Maybe tomorrow.
    Sent from my Life One X3 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Gone Coastal likes this.
  6. mbrewer

mbrewer

Had a yearling 7 pt and what I think was a "smallish", 3 year old 10 or 11 pt browsing and jousting a bit within 20 yards of me from 3:40 to 4:00. Lots of scrapes but very few rubs.

7. Shawnxbow

Shawnxbow

Well all for all not a bad night for me corn is down saw two bucks and a few does all way to far (700 yards) away one does blasted past me on a mission waited for a chasing buck that did not happen. Back at it in the morning good luck all be safe

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

8. Swampdog467

Swampdog467

Back home to Michigan, Van Buren and Iosco
    Saw four tonight. Two adult doe and a fawn in the edge of the corn, one unidentified in the ragweed

Sent from my E6810 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

9. Trunkslammer

Trunkslammer

We had a miracle and saw a pile of deer. A half dozen or so does/fawns came running towards us being pushed by a sparky 6 and a spike. The 6 is the only deer that was feeling social giving my barely 4 year old and I ample viewing time. Surprisingly she didn’t seem to give two sh**s about a deer hanging out 50 yards away. Every time she sees one while driving down the road everybody in the county knows from her overly enthusiastic announcement. 6 point in walks away, a doe and spike show up. 6 point promptly shows back up and plays buddy buddy with the spike. Great action for the kiddo. It will be interesting to hear her perspective for the next few days.

10. Flight of the arrow

Flight of the arrow Premium Member

My son plays high school soccer and the end of the season party is at my house today. And I won’t be in any shape to hunt tomorrow.
    Flight

11. Macs13

Macs13

Helluva disappointing hunt last evening. 9 does in range that I passed. A little too small. Nice buck prancing around making scrapes. Couldn't get him to come into range. Then, at the end, as I'm watching a small doe about 15 yards from me and I'm completely frozen still (bow facing downward), a pair of nice doe come right into the shooting zone about 20 yards away. I raised my bow super slowly so as to not spook them. By the time I had my sights on her, she had scented me, stomped once, blew once, and bounded out of my life. I had a spit second there where she was lined up and just about to stomp. It was happening fast, so I was on instincts, and I froze. I'm still beating myself up about it. I think that i got rattled by her scenting me - it's the first time that happened in my past few hunts. I finished the night by slipping a little bit while readjusting (I'm just standing on a limb) and my bow slipped. As I grabbed it, my finger hit the trigger and I buried a bolt into the earth. I'm thankful it wasn't my thigh, but it sure didn't make the taste in my mouth from freezing up any better.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

up520, Waif and Team Camo like this.
  12. Namrock

Namrock

The freezing up part; you can be upset that you got pegged, but try not to let it linger too long. That's going to happen again if you plan to keep on hunting up close & personal with them.
    The slipping part; glad you didn't shoot yourself. & No man that doesn't sound very comfortable or safe. Get 1 of those tree seats if that would work there & attach it above the limb your standing on. The more comfortable you are = less movement. & Make sure strapped in for Pete's sake your making us nervous.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    snortwheeze, up520, John Hine and 5 others like this.
  13. Macs13

Macs13

Lol. It's a low limb. I found this young oak amongst mature oaks that I can just scramble up into. I'm only about 12' up but over the last two evening hunts that I've tried there, I've passed over 20 deer. That's unusually high for me considering I'm hunting public. I appreciate the concern, but if I'm going to hunt this particular tree, I just haven't figured out any other way to do it and the mature oaks are all too big for my climber.

14. Namrock

Namrock

I was thinking something like these in the link below. Small & portable, cheap like $15-$20 & you would have a spot sit & be a little more comfortable. Sounds like you found a good activity spot so I'd be looking for ways to keep hunting there as well. I used to have some seats I made with big lag bolts & heavy duty angle iron, but I know that would be a no-no on public so that wouldn't work.
    https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/mu...7rGifRLG4B7j306gTkQ-uHskAoT8nbfRoC2GsQAvD_BwE

up520 and Fissshh On! like this.
  15. Macs13

Macs13

That is pretty cool. Wouldn't quite work in this exact tree, but maybe in one of the others. I'll take a good look this evening.

Standing on a limb for 4 hours without moving around is like some Buddhist monk's trial or something, lol. There's a second limb a little higher that I kinda lean my belly against and that helps a little, but a seat sure would be nice.

What's unique about this position is that I'm actually way out on the limb - the good spot is at least 10' away from the trunk.

Namrock likes this.