Knowing when it is time quit hunting

Discussion in 'General Michigan Hunting' started by gtokid1, Sep 26, 2020.

1. mac66

mac66

My dad last hunted when he was 87. He suffered a stroke the next year and lived 4 years after that. But, I had him out that fall in both October (cross bow) and November. He didn't hunt very hard but he was in camp with my brothers, sons, nephews and me. It is a memory I will cherish, his last hunt.

I'm 65 so have been hunting 51 years. I told my wife when I can no longer function to just take he out in the woods and leave me on my deer stand.

Plumman, Jaspo, 12Point and 3 others like this.
  2. timbrhuntr

timbrhuntr

lol I hope I won't know when its time to quit because hopefully I'll be pushing up daises before I do know lol

Ieatshrooms likes this.

3. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

That is what my Grandpa did. He quit hunting in his 60's. Most of his hunting buddies were older guys and didn't hunt anymore, for reason or another. His daughter (my Aunt) and my Uncle bought the old camp and built a house onto the cabin. They still live there and it is still the family hunting camp when the time comes round. Grandpa would still come up for bow season and sit around camp and shoot the schitt. He didn't ever drink much, but he did love a couple beers while throwing cards. I am pretty sure that is the whole reason he came up, to play and laugh with his kids and grandkids. The last years they wintered down south, but he always called the evening of Nov 15th to see what happened and then a few days later. Always wanted to know if anyone hunted his blind. "Why not!?!" if no one did. Lol

My Dad will always come hunting I believe, even if he can't move well enough at some point. I can see him just sitting in a chair by the camper waiting for something dumb enough to run by.

It might sound twisted, but the full spectrum is what I love most. Seeing and hearing both of my Grandpa's pictures and stories. Watching my Dad and learning from him, my Great Uncle and cousin. I grew up learning during their prime, and my Dad and cousin still ain't slow, but you can see it on the horizon. I look forward to honing my skills and helping them more as they used to me. I also look forward to bring my son into the mix in years to come and having him pick up as much as he can from them and myself. To see 3 generations doing it and see his excitement, remembering my own at his age is something I have looked forward to my whole life. I just pray they are around long enough to be there, then my goals will be met and I can move on from there happily, until my Grand kids come in the mix.

The best part is seeing my Dads excitement with him. It is a sight I had almost forgotten and it brings up old memories of me and him in the same woods, water or even in the yard.

It is a deep wholesome feeling that I only have ever dreamed of. I must wear it on my sleeve because sometimes I just sit back and watch, silently replaying and taking in the moments and my wife will walk up and put her head on my shoulder and just say I love you.

4. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

OK, one more bonus!

My father-in-law hasn't hunted or fished much in years. Probably a decade or so now. A few years back while at deer camp, sitting in a blind with my wife, I confessed my goal of getting her Dad back out there with me and my Dad. I told her how cool it would be to have them both out there with me, they get along like best buds, so why the hell not!?

Fast forward to two years ago when our son was born. I told her that he might be my golden ticket to get her Dad back into it. I have told him the same, that I will do everything if he would like to come hunting, fishing, ice fishing with us. He always says he would love to, but doesn't.

Now, two weeks ago he told us that he wants to get into ice fishing this year. He has bought a few things, so I am pretty confident he will. He also said he wants to hunt, and we have been doing some work behind his house for him to hunt there also. He wants to have our son grow up doing these things with both his Grandpa's.

I would be lying if I said my wife and I aren't excited!

GrizzlyHunter, Jaspo, jeffm and 7 others like this.
  5. Biggbear

Biggbear

My biggest excitement these days is seeing this way of life handed down. I try to play a part when ever I can chip in.

When we bought the North Forty-Five a good chunk of it was flooded out, I decided immediately the beavers had to go. I contacted the MTPCA and they put me in touch with a couple older guys who trapped my area. In exchange for helping me with my beaver problem I gave Woody and Kotsch (pronounced Coach) permission to trap whatever they wanted. Being around those two old codgers was like being part of the movie Grumpy Old Men. They were a hoot to say the least. I had always wanted to learn to trap, and in the years that followed they took me under their wing.

The year Kotsch passed away his Grandaughter decided she wanted to hunt Kotsch's old blind, and asked if I would help her. I got her all set up with everything she would need, and gave her the advice and knowledge that her Grandpa had given me. Opening day she passed a Doe because it had twins that she felt were too young. Her Grandpa had instilled the importance of conservation, and I told her he would be proud. The second day she was rewarded with a Monster of a 6 pt. The DNR aged it at 12+, they honestly weren't sure because it had no teeth to age. With a 21" inside spread, and dressing well over 200 lbs it was a beast for a northern lower public land buck. I would have loved to see that buck in its prime.

While I have no doubt Kotsch played a major role in her tagging that old monarch, I was thrilled to play a small part myself. Kotsch had given me so much, I was happy to give back just a little.

If the time ever comes I can't hunt myself, I believe I'll find a way to help bring a new hunter or trapper into the fold. Hopefully age will not take away the things Kotsch and Woody taught me, and I'll be able to extend their legacy to the generations that come. If I can't hunt myself, at least I can hunt vicariously through them.

6. GIDEON

GIDEON

This will be my 58th year, when I quit is up to God to decide.

sureshot006 and November Sunrise like this.
  7. sgc

sgc

Still nothing like being in the woods with a dog. I do get concerned about being alone these days at 67, but its more about my back going out then anything else. Still, watching dog work and seeing their excitement is hard to beat.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  8. TSS Caddis

TSS Caddis

The older you get the more obligations that take priority. That said for deer, after you kill enough it starts to seem pointless. That along with the more out of state hunts you go on the less desire to hunt Michigan

Forest Meister likes this.
  9. That’s leaving a legacy and a true sportsman to your family. I hope you have many more years to enjoy it first

Luv2hunteup likes this.
  10. Newaygo1

Newaygo1

Circumstances and what is Going on Today with the Pandemic and the CWD Testing has some changing what they do as things Change, some wonder when It might be that Time to do something different or not at all. It is NEVER Easy to stop doing what is your favorite Activity when you have been doing it for a long time. Some things can contribute to this Happening like the poor decisions the NRC & DNR are making as of Late. For some like myself it has been a "Traditional Activity" that has give us a reason to do what we do especially Bow Hunting and the Challenge of taking a Deer with Archery Equipment. But then things seem to take away from all of that. Getting older is just an added part to this. I wonder how long I will continue especially with all that is going on Now! It is a Tough Decision...
    Newaygo1

11. Hackman

Hackman

I agree with being in the woods with the dog.

12. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

We’ve made buying into our camp affordable for younger folks, so I envision our camp being around for a long time. I started going to camp with my dad and uncles when I was 10, 65 years ago. I have a son and 4 grandsons who I hope will inhabit my cabin and hunt my blinds for many years after me. In the meantime, I’ll be in the woods until I’m unable to do it anymore, then I’ll be the cook.

mofo, "Big Tuna" and 6Speed like this.
  13. boutdun

boutdun Premium Member

Well as one of the older members here I guess I'd like to add my thoughts,I loved nothing more than hunting birds with my labs,I hunted deer, rifle and bow,ice fished,hunted rabbits with hounds,ducks, trout fished, but I guess my favorite was following the dogs thru the brush on a beautiful fall day,I grew up when pheasants were everywhere back in the 40's an 50's so my labs always had lots of birds to find,a few years ago my last lab had to be put down because her hips went out,when that happened it hurt like sin,my friends that we made so many golden memories have all passed on,at 83 I guess it isn't safe to do much walking in the bush anymore,I guess the one thing I'd really like to do next spring is just set down near a trout stream and listen to the gurgle of the water and remember all the good times,Art Neuman one of the founders of Trout Unlimited was a relative of my dads and he guided us on the Au Sable out of Penrods in Grayling where I caught my first trout,memories like that are golden,my late wife always said when we were fishing "making memories" and I have so many,enjoy every moment guys and girls............time flies

Justin, Former grunt, ncgreg and 12 others like this.
  14. birdhntr

birdhntr

I saw him at metro to years ago saying it may be his last year.Man that snow was deep and I honestly don't know how he was able to get to the basketball courts!

15. 22 Chuck

22 Chuck

Pheasants in the last 1/2 of the 50s--WOW!!!

My sr year in HS--just finished reading the hunting rules and I wouldnt even be able to
    do that today. One has to be 18 to hunt alone now--and they wonder why there are less hunters.

Scout 2 and birdhntr like this.